Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Big Twin Flatties 36 VD question

36 VD question

Post Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:26 pm

A friend is working on a 36 VD and needs to remove the rear foot board shaft. What in the world holds it together? Rust? The front shaft looks like a 45 with the nut. The rear looks like the front side opposite the nut on both sides. I'll get some pics of it next Friday. It's the first VD I've seen I had to go look at the numbers I was sure it was a VLD. But it's a factory stamp.
Dusty

Post Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:16 pm

Surely there's someone left on here that knows VLs. The great Googly says that a VD is just a low compression VL and that most sold with sidecars as VDS but the s only showed in the paperwork not stamped anywhere.
Dusty

Post Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:32 pm
Pa Site Admin

Give me a little time to scan some parts book pages for you Dusty.

Post Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:02 am
Pa Site Admin

The early parts books are poorly illustrated with dinky tiny pics so scanning did not work. I get 2929-30 as that rear footboard support rod from the early parts books. Below are pics of a reproduction 2929-30 that should answer your question.

Post Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:49 pm

That looks like what it has in front the back tapers on both sides and could be 3 pieces. Hard to tell looks like two tapered spacers and a shaft through the center. I'll try for some pics.
Dave

Post Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:09 pm

Got it off guess somebody ground the hex off. Strange things happen over the years.
Dusty

Return to Big Twin Flatties