Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Pans GENERATOR WHINE

GENERATOR WHINE

Post Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:03 pm

I have a whiny generator its a 65a on a 68. it's not the worst whine that I have ever heard, but it's a noise that I think shouldn't be :? I thought it might go away but it has thousands of miles after the rebuild and it ain't any bettor. I'm thinking that it comes from the gear. it has a 13t . I was wondering if a 14t would help? OR should I be looking for a slightly smaller idler gear? I'm sure others have had this problem and know how to fix it. Thanks.

Post Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:43 pm

grease the generator bearings

Post Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:18 am

Could very well be the gear lash between the generator gear and idler. If you haven't already done so, I'd bolt on a temporary block off plate so you can start the bike without the generator installed (and avoid an oily mess) to confirm. Earlier models used shims under the generator to adjust the lash, but you are correct in that often a different generator gear will provide different lash. BTW, a whine is from too little lash and can produce excess heat, clatter is from excess lash, and as Samsup says, a squeal could be from a dry bearing.

Post Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:19 pm

Thanks for the replies I'll try some grease.

Return to Pans