Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Shovels S&S shorty carb

S&S shorty carb

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:52 pm

I have on on my 1974 FXE using the stock throttle I have had a bit of a problem with what it takes to keep the throttle open while riding... I have taken the throttle apart cleaned it to make sure nothing is rubbing etc, I also put a "paddle" on the grip but it still is hard to hold it ... There is a return spring on the butterfly shaft and nothing else... It seems the spring is too "tight" has anyone else experienced this... Can the spring be modified, any other ideas...
I want to tell you all that I have ridden since the 60's so I'm aware of the mechanics just want to see if anyone has a "fix" for me...

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:14 am

A spring with less tension is needed. Visit a good old fashioned hardware store.

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:03 pm

Chris Haynes wrote:
...Visit a good old fashioned hardware store.
Yeah right, Chris...

Those are nearly extinct, even here in the heartland.

In olden times, we would stretch the spring out a bit, clip it to length, and tune it by making a hook just right with the needle-nose.

(But honestly, I haven't messed with an S&S carb since before shortys were invented.)

....Cotten
PS: But I certainly appreciate our hosts of this fine forum!!

Post Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:42 am

thanks for that,I was thinking about doing that,I can get extra springs if I mess up

Return to Shovels