Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Shovels 75 FLH

75 FLH

Post Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:18 pm

Fixing up an old FLH that sat for years. Drained the stale gas from the S&S E carb when I got it. After frame tear down, rewiring, the bike started up so I decided to clean out the carb. O rings for the check balls in the accelerator pump were shot, replaced them and cleaned out the carb with cleaner and compressed air, 20 psi. Engine won't start after setting idle screw, accelerator pump and air fuel screw to recommended settings. Decided to check the points, I have had some close on me in the past, so I put in some new ones and discovered one of the advance weight springs was broken. Got everything back together, and now the bike barely turns over, new fully charged battery and starter rely. I am stumped. Any suggestions on which way to go? Thanks!

Post Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:19 pm
Pa Site Admin

Sarge77 wrote:
Fixing up an old FLH that sat for years. Drained the stale gas from the S&S E carb when I got it. After frame tear down, rewiring, the bike started up so I decided to clean out the carb. O rings for the check balls in the accelerator pump were shot, replaced them and cleaned out the carb with cleaner and compressed air, 20 psi. Engine won't start after setting idle screw, accelerator pump and air fuel screw to recommended settings. Decided to check the points, I have had some close on me in the past, so I put in some new ones and discovered one of the advance weight springs was broken. Got everything back together, and now the bike barely turns over, new fully charged battery and starter rely. I am stumped. Any suggestions on which way to go? Thanks!

Check for a bad ground at the starter motor and solenoid.

Post Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:10 pm

Did you drain the crankcases?

Post Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:42 am

Thanks for the replies. I apologize for not responding sooner. Been out of state on business. Will double check grounds tonight, and have been reading up on "sumping" which may explain why the motor turns over slowly. Motor was backfiring through the exhaust, so I will turn the air/fuel mixture in a quarter turn from the factory recommended 1 1/4 turn for initial setting. Thanks for your responses.

Return to Shovels