Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Evo's Thru 99 Using Oil

Using Oil

Post Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:48 pm

My new to me bike (1998 Dyna Convertible) was in rough shape when I got it. Was loosing engine oil and gaining Primary fluid. Changed out the main crank seal on the clutch side and now that part of it is good. I know this because I measured real carefully how much I put in (770ml is what shop manual says to put in there) I'm Canadian so I work in metric, then rode about 350 miles and drained it and measured again and did not gain any so my seal change was done right.
The bike lost about 1/2 quart engine oil in the 350 miles.
What I did check was the following.
1. Took the rocker covers off to inspect the umbrella valves as I thought maybe not installed right and might cause blow by. Although no oil coming out of the breather tube into the air cleaner. They look real good and installed correctly.
2. Previous owner had installed a chrome oil filter housing and different oil lines.
Checked the shop manual and all lines are routed correct. Took them all off to verify no blockage.
3. Did a compression check. Front is 138 lbs, rear is 139. Engine was at normal operating temp, had ridden for about 10 miles.
Bike has about 26000 miles.
Bike runs good and plugs look nice to me.
Don't see any smoke out the pipes at startup or anytime.
The previous owner was using Ansoil synthetic but I switched to 20W-50 Castrol Motorcycle oil. I have been using this in my other bike for 60000 miles and no oil consumption on that one.
Where is the oil gong?? any help is appreciated. Thanks
Where is my oil going. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Post Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:47 pm
Pa Site Admin

I am not familiar with that new of a Harley but my guess is it is pushing it out while riding. Maybe out the pump ? Maybe out a case half bolt ? Drain plug ? Look at to undercarriage for signs of oil.

Post Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. I looked High and low for leaks. All good.

Post Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:09 pm
Pa Site Admin

I doubt it is evaporating. If it is not burning oil it has to be getting out somewhere.

Post Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:58 pm

Too new for me but doesn't the breather hose dump into the filter housing. I think I would unhook the breather hose and go for a ride to see if it dumps oil. I owned a Harley as new as 57 once but the valves were in the wrong place! Most ever thing I gots now has under head valves.
Dusty

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:00 pm

I have the same problem on my FXR. Oil is leaking past the cast in steel insert that holds the sprocket shaft bearing. The only fix is a new case.

Post Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:52 pm

My 05 Eglide suddenly started using a lot of oil and then I discovered a very over full primary. The sprocket shaft seal was literally worn through in a spot about 3/8 inch long. A new seal solved the problem.

Return to Evo's Thru 99