Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Sporties S&S Sportsters

S&S Sportsters

Post Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:34 pm

Hi there everybody! I'm a newbie on so many levels. New to this forum, new to Harleys and indeed new to motorcycling as a practical experience. Just to clarify, after many years or reading about and drooling over Harleys of every colour and style, I have finally acquired enough money to buy my own, and learn to ride on it. Yes, you read that right. I am learning to ride, as a novice, on a 1994 S&S Sportster. What's life without adventure? :D

To the point then. I bought the bike from a well-known auction website and was told that it was an 883, that had been S&S converted to a 1200. It certainly had a Super E carb and S&S air cleaner on it, and from my limited frame of reference, goes like the proverbial off a Teflon shovel! While I don't think the seller of the bike is trying to con me, is there any simple way, short of splitting off the heads and measuring things, that I can confirm what has been done to my new pride and joy?
The last man on earth will be riding a Harley.

Post Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:02 pm

Well, if it feels fast then it in pretty safe to say it has been increased to a 1200. S&S cylinders normally have raised S&S lettering cast in near the base. However, one might contend that it has been "S&S converted" even if they only used S&S pistons in bored out stock cylinders. If that it the case, you would need to disassemble the top end to confirm.

Post Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:57 am

Thanks for that, I will take a close look at the cylinders later. :)
The last man on earth will be riding a Harley.

Return to Sporties