Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Servi-Cars Servi rear end

Servi rear end

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:20 am

does anybody have, or know where to find any verifiable info as to who manufactured the Servicar rear ends?

Post Tue May 09, 2017 7:26 am

Really? Nobody has a clue?

Post Tue May 09, 2017 12:29 pm
Pa Site Admin

servitrike wrote:
Really? Nobody has a clue?

My best guess since no one answered is Harley Davidson.

Post Wed May 10, 2017 11:59 am

H-D didn't have a foundry. All castings came from outside vendors. Motor Casting Company in Milwaukee cast all the iron cylinders and heads.

Post Wed May 10, 2017 4:16 pm
Pa Site Admin

Chris Haynes wrote:
H-D didn't have a foundry. All castings came from outside vendors. Motor Casting Company in Milwaukee cast all the iron cylinders and heads.

HD may not have had a foundry but they did do much of their own machining. HD also engineered most of their own components and then farmed out the foundry work. I worked one foundry which had their own machine shop but the machine work they did was minor. They did nothing complicated.

Post Fri May 12, 2017 7:17 am

has anybody ever asked this question b4?
does anybody know if Motor Casting Company could have been set up to make the rear axle housings?

Post Fri May 12, 2017 12:41 pm
Pa Site Admin

I haven't had my hands on a servicer rear end in several years but the casting will have a foundry mark on it which you can research under foundry casting marks.

Post Tue May 16, 2017 8:17 am

now foundry casting marks may be an interesting clue to follow. . .
thx Pa. . .

i don't think i will yank mine apart to find them, but i do see them from time to time at the monthly swap meet.

Return to Servi-Cars