Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Servi-Cars Brake Lights / Ignition Switch

Brake Lights / Ignition Switch

Post Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:08 am
Pa Site Admin

My 1968 did not come equipped with a front brake light switch and has only the rear hydraulic activated brake light switch. In relation to the ignition switch, my rear brake lights do not light up when ignition switch is in the one click to the right position [ignition]. They do light up in the second position to the right [lights]. Is this normal ? I would think they should operate in both 1 and 2 positions to the right.

Post Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:29 am

That is not normal, puppy should pop on in both positions, some times it barke light housing needs a good ground. But then again, might need to pull the dash, and chase wires.
Good luck.

Post Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:33 am

Yep sounds like they got the brake light wire on the wrong ignition switch terminal. Normally brake lights power from the ignition terminal but occasionally they power from at the battery terminal and work anytime the pedal is depressed like a car. Do you have a factory manual? If not hollar I think I got a digital copy around here somewheres. Dusty

Post Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:36 am
Pa Site Admin

Thanks guys. I have a factory service manual with plenty of wiring schematics within it. None of those schematics show the rotating light or rear trunk mounted parking lights wire routing either. I did obtain a hand drawn one for the rotating light from a very good friend. I have already found one wire in the wrong place at the front terminal plate in the headlamp. They got a neutral terminal hooked up as hot. Turn signals don't work with ignition on the first click to the right either. Chasing wires is where the fun now begins.

Return to Servi-Cars