Board index Flathead Power- General Announcements and Various Subjects Shoot The Bull If I had a 3-D printer...

If I had a 3-D printer...

Use this forum for general conversation amongst yourselves when you don't have anything better to do. We like gossip! Try to keep the technical out of it.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:22 am

That first pic was an early version just to get an idea of the size . It would need to be for the most part solid on the inside with just enough space that it didn't choke fuel delivery. As a baseline, maybe flow area slightly larger than the cross sectional area of the ID of the main nozzle. As you said, with a large volume, you would get a lag in response and thusly a lean spot. I can print different venturis and the extra booster you see here for flow and vacuum signal(booster) analysis, but for actaul use it would need to be machined from brass or aluminum. I have a spinning lathe and plan make some one piece air horn and venturi from brass sheet and then could make this booster from brass bar stock or cast it then machine. The fuel distribution holes are pretty critical to make them a very nice sharp drilled hole, not radiused to get the best fuel shear properties as possible. This little detail will take some experimenting as far as exact placement and form. The aero booster placement vs venturi is another aspect that will need to be optimized for best flow vs boost signal. And yes, there is always the possibility of fuel puddling in teh bottom, so you would need to make sure you had a hole on either side right at the bottom to pull that fuel out. It could turn out that all this turns out to be a waste of time and not work at all, but just look cool, but at least I'll learn somthing in the process. So in reality, something more like this:
Attachments
SuperBooster vert cutawy.jpg
SuperBooster vert cutawy.jpg (56.26 KiB) Viewed 232 times
Hans

Texan-Norwegian Gearhead
Bonneville 200MPH Club Member
Instagram @hansrodncycle

Post Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:20 am

I realize you are having a lot of fun, Hans!

Once upon a time, I had time to play, too.
BRASBOMB.jpg
Somewhere, I have an aircleaner/airhorn to go with it...
BRASBOMB.jpg (84.72 KiB) Viewed 227 times

For the sake of experimentation, wouldn't it be easier to just carve little prototype airfoils that are secured by the nozzle spigot alone? Then if any worked, you could proceed with more sophisticated production.

And now I wonder if the airfoil fluttered,... It might work even better! (You never know...)

....Cotten

Post Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:39 pm

Oh man, I think I remember that secondary booster from a thread like 10 years ago or something like that! Very cool. Since I've already have these drawn up , I can just 3D print a version and yes, just use the main nozzle to locate and make a slight interference fit to the venturi so it doesn't flap around. That would be pretty cool to see the effect of one ocilating back and forth though! Something this small would take like 15 minutes to print up. Thats the first thing to do to see if it affects flow in a negative way, then I can just go back to the drawing board.. :D I played around with some versions with half height discharge ports, so very little volume and would give quicker response. The two with the Z slots and the straight jailbar slots are to scale, with 0.30mm slot width that cold be cut with an off the shelft $15 slitting saw for your mill. I'll be able to get on actual testing in a coulpe months. I'm at work for a month straight now, so just evenings for stuff like this on the computer.
Attachments
SuperBooster Zcut cutawy.jpg
SuperBooster Zcut cutawy.jpg (47.44 KiB) Viewed 214 times
SuperBooster Jailbar cutawy.jpg
SuperBooster Jailbar cutawy.jpg (45.43 KiB) Viewed 214 times
SuperBooster Multihole cutawy.jpg
SuperBooster Multihole cutawy.jpg (60.97 KiB) Viewed 214 times
Hans

Texan-Norwegian Gearhead
Bonneville 200MPH Club Member
Instagram @hansrodncycle

Post Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:47 pm

That booster turned out pointless, Hans,..

(I'm still proud of my 'airhorn' adaptation for a center-screw 7" cover, and it unbolts.
But the backing plate viciously sacrificed a K's):
FLOMOR.jpg
Brillos rule.
FLOMOR.jpg (52.93 KiB) Viewed 212 times

Your modern resources are awe-inspiring to a twentieth-century mind like mine.

But I wonder if there are still not advantages to keeping it simple?
ballboost.JPG
ballboost.JPG (105.87 KiB) Viewed 212 times

.....Cotten
Last edited by Cotten on Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:41 pm

I really wonder what smoke would show with this, Folks!

TRIKSPGT.jpg
TRIKSPGT.jpg (39.59 KiB) Viewed 201 times

Need a way to twist the nozzle indexing while observing, of course...

Even without the nifty atomizer hole, the beveled spigot alone might be another bandaid upon the cylinder bias if it is on the correct side.

A flowbench tells us something, but only a dyno (with a real dynomeister) can give us performance numbers. Seat o' the pants is just too subjective.

....Cotten

Previous

Return to Shoot The Bull