Board index Flathead Power- General Announcements and Various Subjects Shoot The Bull New Indian Scout :P

New Indian Scout :P

Use this forum for general conversation amongst yourselves when you don't have anything better to do. We like gossip! Try to keep the technical out of it.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:01 am

I've just seen pictures of the forthcoming Indian Scout. Well, it's an all-new bike, but am I alone in thinking it's downright fugly?

Plus, I'd always seen the Scout as a sporting machine, not a cruiser with a 61" wheelbase....
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:36 pm

Reminds me of a Honda dream with its stamped frame, ect., they really did the original scout an injustice, very disappointing !
Vintage roadracing, Class C, AHRMA # 335

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:18 pm
Pa Site Admin

I cannot see the bike ?

Post Sun May 01, 2016 12:36 pm

I don't think it matters, Pa..

Can't wait until the new Studebakers come out. Well maybe I can.

....Cotten

Post Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:44 pm

it took a while to grow on me. i found i like them better without those funky fenders. i wish they had designed some fenders similar to the prewar years.

Post Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:44 pm

There's definitely some potential there but not enough to buy one before they are 10 or 15 years old. Since I'd have to throw the frame and most body work away. Besides they badged it Indian and I am quite sure that Indian went out of business in 1953.
Dusty

Post Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:18 pm

"they badged it with Indian".

they sure did. and to the purists, anything made by anybody, under any circumstances can be identified as such. itz just the way it is. and the purists will never be satisfied.

i own a 48 Chief. stock 74" flatty with Ollie cams. nothing fancy. nothing spectacular. i did custom make a jockey shift 4 it b4 Jerry Greer began selling one. but itz mine. i traveled coast to coast to find it and i picked the one i wanted and brought it home.
having said that, i like the Polaris Indians a whole lot better than the Gilroy models. to this day, i am not sure i have ever seen a Kings Mountain edition.
but my 48 really is not up to the kind of riding i would like to do in the 21st century. the new Chief is bigger than i really care for and the Scout is just about the size of the 1971 R75/5 i have been traveling the past on in the past 30 years, with twice the power.
the new "Indians" r trying to jump across many decades of technology and guess what the MA company may have been producing if they were still here. the water cooled Scout is a test of loyalty, i agree. but i think it is a reasonable guess.

i figure true purists will always be haters.
i guess that means i am not a true purist, cause the i kinda like the Polaris models

Post Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:28 pm

Oh I don't know that I'm a hater and definitely not a purist, none of my bikes are anywhere close to stock much less restored. But I would think more of it badged Polaris, but they bought the name. If they would loose those ugly assed frames they might make it. The only person I've talked to that had a new Scout loved it. But like I said it'll have to be wrecked or old to be turned into something I would want to be seen on .
Dusty

Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:32 am

Well, they certainly know how to pick their moment.

The XR is at the end of its life, and the XGR isn't anything like ready. The Indian flat track bike looks very striking, and for a bike which really hasn't done anything but a few test laps, while a distant cousin has run a few indoor races in very carefully controlled conditions, it is getting the column inches.

I can just imagine the ballyhoo which will follow when they actually take the track, in an AMA event, against an actual works XGR ...
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:19 pm

Dave. i was not pointing my "purists" remark at u. probly not at anybody on this board. i was thinking of the pebble beach Concourse set that must have a 100 point resto or find it just isn't acceptable.
i have seen pics of 2 of ur bikes and while very true to the name sake, they would never be classified as "pure". i would call them real!

i think i have seen the new Scout engine in a Victory model already. so ur Badged claim is very valid. but whoever bought the rights would probly have the same cross to bear if they ever put that name on anything.

i am going to need to go see again about ur stamped frame claim. i have sat on these things and found it fit real good. i don't think i even looked at the frame.

Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:35 pm

Looks stamped to me.
Certainly not as ugly as the new Chief frame.
Dusty

Post Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:39 am

maybe ur rite. . .i'll just have to stop by a dealer and have myself another look.

Post Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:19 am

Took a while to find a picture of the frame these from the press release were all I could find.
Prolly cheap to make.
Dusty

Post Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:02 pm

interesting. and definitely not real inspiring.
i think i can squeeze in a visit to a dealer(maybe 2) this weekend during my "honey Do" list.
i will take a camera.

but that gets me back to needing a photobucket, don't it?

Post Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:08 pm

sorry Dusty. i am not following the description u offer as to how to do this properly. . .SO. . .

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/servit ... sort=3&o=3
i have 2 other pics of the new Scout there. only focused on the frame bits i could see.

they definitely are not stamped. big heavey cast pieces are what they r. they have a sand cast type of finish to them. and the semi gloss "paint"(?) makes the bits look kind of plastic. the tie bar under the tank was not visible.

the thing that bugged me the most was seeing the same engine in a similar Victory branded bike.

Post Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:25 pm
Pa Site Admin

Maybe injection molded ?

Post Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:10 pm

A little more research revealed that it is cast aluminum. It still looks like a Honda Dream frame to me.
Servitrike If the share this photo menu isn't showing beside the pictures in your library click on the photo and the menu will be beside the enlarged picture chose the bottom link and copy it then paste in your post here.
Dusty

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:53 am

ok. . .let me try this?

hmmm. so far it looks like an even longer link. . .we'll see what happens when i send it. . .?

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:53 am

well that worked! ! ! ! ! ! !

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:49 am

Looks very good to me!
Dusty

Next

Return to Shoot The Bull