Board index Flathead Power- General Announcements and Various Subjects Shoot The Bull Strangle Hold.

Strangle Hold.

Use this forum for general conversation amongst yourselves when you don't have anything better to do. We like gossip! Try to keep the technical out of it.
Post Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:21 pm
Pa Site Admin

Chris Haynes wrote:
Pa wrote:
Cougar ? Ya need to pick up a Winchester 94 Bro. 30-30 is perfect for varmints all the way up to white tail deer. I'd be hesitant on using it on bear though. You may just piss him off. :lol: When you choose the 94, get an early one with the metal butt plate. The ones with the plastic butt plate have been cheapened in many other areas. Keep it open sights.

They also make a Model 94 in 44 Magnum for the bear.

That is true Chris. I had a model 94 in .375 Winchester magnum as well. It was a beautiful firearm. Carved stock in checkered all over. I paid around 500 new and sold it for 50 when I needed some bucks fast.

Post Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:58 pm

Every 94 I've seen in .375 has been an exceptionally nice rifle. My hunting partner has one, and brings it as a spare on our elk hunts, but he likes a scope so usually uses his scoped .308.

The .44 mag in a rifle is a great rifle/cartridge for anything, with some range limitation. I have a Ruger .44Carbine that has provided me with a lot of meat, and shot my first buck with it too. I think it has shot the most deer for me, out of all my rifles. Everything I have shot with it (all within 50 yards) went right straight down. Fast. I found that the Hornady 265 grain bullets worked best, always bored a nice clean hole all the way through a deer. Also took a deer with my .44 Blackhawk with 7.5" barrel, and it dropped on the spot, at 100 yards.

k.

Post Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:42 pm
Pa Site Admin

I took a 9 point whitetail with a 12 gauge 3 inch magnum copper sabot once. Spread was 22 inches. I blew the bottom of his heart out but that damn buck traveled well over 400 yards before I found him. I am still puzzled to this day how that damn buck kept going.

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:41 pm

I think you shot the infamous double-hearted buck. Probably didn't see the other one when you pulled the guts out. The first deer I ever shot, a doe, with my first SMLE, went about 15 yards, (or maybe more, it was running from my right, to my left, and I shot it four times)(probably my best shooting ever) and jumped over a bush, with two holes in it's heart.

The only deer I've ever had to chase far was one I shot with my .44 mag rifle/carbine, but I was using a 330 grain hard cast bullet. I hit it a little high, and back, so it kind of slipped between the lungs, the stomach, and liver, and made a very clean, small hole. The thing was bleeding like crazy, and I kept jumping it up, thinking that with all that blood, if couldn't go much further. But in my youth and excitement, I kept missing it when it did jump up. But it went a long long ways, must have had like fifty gallons of blood in it. !!!!

Once a friend's dad sent friend and I out to the pasture to kill this huge beef cow with a .22 Magnum rifle. He probably thought we'd be smart enough to shoot it in the ear and drop it. We decided to shoot it in the heart. About 20 rounds later, with the cow running further out in the woods with each shot, (and not acting like much was wrong, more like we were annoying it) I popped it with my 7.7 which I had taken along. It jumped in the air, kicked it's heels once, and then hit the ground stone cold dead. Dad sure wasn't happy about that huge hole I put in it. 7.7 at five yards is a little destructive, especially with the way I used to load it like....HOT. In my early reloading days, I thought all cartridges were best loaded to maximum or beyond.

When we took the heart out, it had 18 .22 caliber holes through it. The "swiss cheese heart". I suppose if we had not chased it miles away from the house it would have eventually laid down and died. ?? So maybe it had a second heart too.

k.

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:56 pm

If you ever get a chance to visit The Chickamauga, GA Battlefield their museum has hundreds of civil war era firearms.

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:16 am
Pa Site Admin

Chris Haynes wrote:
If you ever get a chance to visit The Chickamauga, GA Battlefield their museum has hundreds of civil war era firearms.

The Henry Ford museum in Michigan has a huge collection as well. They even have an original Colt Walker revolver there.

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:43 pm
Pa Site Admin

Big 50 verses 9mm...... :D

Post Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:38 pm

Oh man....a .50BMG pistol. Must have about a 1/16" barrel. I want one.

k.

Post Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:47 pm
Pa Site Admin

I wish...What a derringer that would be. Waste the intruder and blow your own arm off. :lol:

Previous

Return to Shoot The Bull