Board index Flathead Power- General Announcements and Various Subjects Shoot The Bull Flying Scotsman

Flying Scotsman

Use this forum for general conversation amongst yourselves when you don't have anything better to do. We like gossip! Try to keep the technical out of it.
Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:06 am

Posts: 1729
Here's one for the Brits, Flying Scotsman at Peterborough earlier today

http://vid1023.photobucket.com/albums/a ... bjqoum.mp4

Beautiful day for a ride, if a bit cold; rode over to Tallington and JUST caught it at the crossing gates, no time for pics though! I've almost forgiven them for the "wrong" colour because of the blood-and-custard coaching stock...
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:18 pm
Pa Site Admin

Posts: 6034
Location: Ohio USA

Oh the good ole days. I remember the last steamers here. They faded away rapidly as the diesels took over. That engine was pulling a lot cars. I rode some steamers in Cass, West Virginia several years ago. One can still ride them to this day. Right out front of my home is a cross country railroad. Main line is what they are known as. In 8 years I've seen two steamers pulling Pulman cars.

Post Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:19 pm

Posts: 19
Location: Snohomish Co., WA
Pa wrote:
Oh the good ole days. I remember the last steamers here. They faded away rapidly as the diesels took over. That engine was pulling a lot cars. I rode some steamers in Cass, West Virginia several years ago. One can still ride them to this day. Right out front of my home is a cross country railroad. Main line is what they are known as. In 8 years I've seen two steamers pulling Pulman cars.
There's a guy who posts on the shovelhead.us forum (or did -- I haven't posted there in a couple of years), who works on a couple of steam locomotives somewhere in W. Va. Might be the same one you're talking about.

Post Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:49 pm
Pa Site Admin

Posts: 6034
Location: Ohio USA

Mark44 wrote:
Pa wrote:
Oh the good ole days. I remember the last steamers here. They faded away rapidly as the diesels took over. That engine was pulling a lot cars. I rode some steamers in Cass, West Virginia several years ago. One can still ride them to this day. Right out front of my home is a cross country railroad. Main line is what they are known as. In 8 years I've seen two steamers pulling Pulman cars.
There's a guy who posts on the shovelhead.us forum (or did -- I haven't posted there in a couple of years), who works on a couple of steam locomotives somewhere in W. Va. Might be the same one you're talking about.


He may very well be the same guy Bro. That railroad has their own machine shop for the locomotives and the cars. Cass Scenic Railroad. I recommend all who can to visit and take the ride.

Post Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:15 pm

Posts: 1189
Location: Ojo Caliente,NM,USA
Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad
If you ever get down my way you should ride the Cumbres & Toltec narrow gauge from Antinito Colorado to Chama New Mexico, Incredible old steam engines the ones that they still use were standard gauge Baldwins with the wheels inside the frame rails because standard narrow gauge engines wouldn't pull enough cars in these mountains. they were originally the Denver and Rio Grande Western Rail Road, my dad said that he rode out to WW2 on the narrow gauge rail road and when he came home the rails were gone except way up in the mountains and he rode home on a bus.
Dusty
http://cumbrestoltec.com/rides/

Post Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:38 pm
Pa Site Admin

Posts: 6034
Location: Ohio USA

Wow Dusty....I will book a trip in the future. Looks awesome !! The Cass rail was a special rail. The engines were built specifically for the mountain the engines would run on. Their job was for hauling timber...timber only found in W Virginia. In fact...The Wright Brothers purchased that very same timber for their fist airplanes.

Post Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:12 pm

Posts: 19
Location: Snohomish Co., WA
Pa wrote:
Wow Dusty....I will book a trip in the future. Looks awesome !! The Cass rail was a special rail. The engines were built specifically for the mountain the engines would run on.
This sure sounds like the line where the guy I mentioned earlier works. From their web site (http://www.cassrailroad.com/shay2.html), they have a number of Shay locomotives, as well as a Heisler and a Climax. All three of these loky types are gear-drive, as opposed to the usual arrangement for locomotives where the cylinders are directly connected to the drive wheels. The Shays have their cylinders arranged vertically, with the con rods going down to a crankshaft that drives all of the wheels of the locomotive as well as those of the tender. This provides more traction than having just the drive wheels being driven. Also, the gear ratios could be changed, although this was probably done at the factory, and was probably a lot of work.

Where I live (WA state) there was a lot of logging done, with much of it in the Cascade and Olympic mountains. A fair number of Shays and the other types were used to haul timber down steep rail lines, steep enough that regular locomotives couldn't be used. I've hiked in some of these valleys, and was amazed that they could get a locomotive up and down these places.

The Heislers had an engine configuration that would be recognizable to any Harley or Indian fan -- V twin, with con rods going down to a crankshaft that ran longitudinally.
Pa wrote:
Their job was for hauling timber...timber only found in W Virginia. In fact...The Wright Brothers purchased that very same timber for their fist airplanes.
Likely it was spruce. During WW I there was a big logging operation on the north side of the Olympic Peninsula, to get spruce for making the spars and stuff of the planes of that era.

Post Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:45 pm
Pa Site Admin

Posts: 6034
Location: Ohio USA

I don't think the wood was spruce out of W Virginia because the Wright Brothers could not obtain it anywhere else. Those engines were made to climb very steep grades. Speed was not the issue. Strength and grade climbing was.


Return to Shoot The Bull