Board index Flathead Power- General Announcements and Various Subjects Shoot The Bull Flathead performance mods.

Flathead performance mods.

Use this forum for general conversation amongst yourselves when you don't have anything better to do. We like gossip! Try to keep the technical out of it.
Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:32 pm

many years ago i was given a printed copy of the Victory Library performance tricks for my 45" Harley. it fully explains stroking and porting and all the common stuff. wear and tear on the crank pins based on just how long u stretch the stroke. it even goes into relieving the tops of the cylinders and matching the volumes of the combustion chamber in the head. and after all that it goes into milling the cylinders down to get the maximum squench out of the fuel.
i tried all of it , to the best of my ability, on my Servicar and got a really stong ride that surprises lotsa people.
but something went wrong and i need to redo the top end.

now, when i talk to the people that gave me such valuable info, they tell me they don't mess with relieving them selves. but they will coach me if i do it myself. then, when i ask for them to get my cylinders shortened, they get all agasp like i just opened pandora's box. what am i missing? is there some Hindenburg-like disaster that killed people that i have't heard about?

and on a footnote. . . has anybody ever done(or heard of being done) any of this hot rod trickery on Indian Scouts?
again, i hear of stoker engines on Scouts, but never relieving or porting or the like.

i have been given the impression over the years that the Indian 45 was a better engine that the Harley 45. when i have seen them on dirt tracks, they all run neck and neck.

i'm just wondering out loud here. why engine builders stop short of getting all they can for their customer. is it too much work? are old parts getting too scarce to get that involved?

enquiring minds want to know. . . oh ok, i'm just wondering. . . .?

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:35 pm

Indian use a different approach although Jerry Branch and Dick O'Brien finally made the KRs faster than the Scouts Indian had been gone and done no development work since the 648 Scout. A 648 Scout won the 53 Grand National Championship to celebrate Harleys 50th anniversary! Indian used popup pistons to raise the squish area on the heads increasing the flow area into the cylinder. Jim and I disagree on lots of things but he does go fast, check out his site for lots of Indian performance info. http://www.performanceindian.com/Tuning.html
Dusty

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:28 pm

Dusty.
H-D celebrated their 50th in 1954. They didn't build any motorcycles in 1903.

Post Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:40 am

Supposedly they decided not to count the 2 or three racers built in 53 and move it to 54 because of those 53 wins.
Take this for what you will
"Milwaukee, Wisconsin –September 8, 1953 - 9 AM Tuesday Morning: The directors of the Harley Davidson Motorcycle Company were seated around the large mahogany table in the boardroom on the 5th floor of the Juneau Avenue headquarters. They sipped coffee and puffed Cuban cigars. They were in a general jovial mood as they discussed the recent demise of their chief rival, The Indian Motorcycle Company (Hendree Manufacturing).

#51 Tuman leads the pack at Des Moines on his way to his
1st AMA National victory. Paul Goldsmith #3 HD follows
closely but was unable to catch the Rockford Rocket.
The mood changed quickly when William H. Davidson walked into the room and slammed a copy of the Milwaukee Sentinel sports section on the table. The headlines read “Bill Tuman rides an Indian to Victory at the Springfield Nationals”. Harley’s chief rival, Indian, had been struggling for several years. Indian had finally collapsed in bankruptcy. In spite of this a few hard core Indian racers sponsored by die hard Indian dealers were beating the socks off the Harley-Davidsons on the race track. The Indian racers had become known as the Indian Wrecking Crew of Ernie Beckman, Bobby Hill and Bill Tuman. The ultimate humiliation that set off Bill Davidson at the board meeting was Bill Truman’s victory the previous Labor Day week-end at the prestigious national championship Springfield Mile. Harley was celebrating its 50th anniversary. They had introduced the K model in 1952, a faster better handling motorcycle patterned after the race bikes of Europe and Great Britain. All this and they still had to contend with Indian winning races and championships!"
Revisionist history probably from all sides. For sure Harley counts the 03 production at times and not at others.

Post Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:46 am

ok. Indian did all the trick work in the heads.

Post Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:17 pm

Dave,
In September 1953 H-D was already in 1954 model production.

Return to Shoot The Bull