Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Knuckles Timken star hub for Bonneville Knucklehead

Timken star hub for Bonneville Knucklehead

I am slowly assembling a 61 EL to run at the Salt Flats. It will be built to run in the modified class ( stock cases & frame). In keeping with that theme, I wish the bike to look as "real " as possible. Of course that involves the use of a stock springer. Right now, I'm gathering parts to assemble wheels . I would like to know if anyone could direct me to the "best" Timken bearing star hub. Yeah , I know, repro stuff is often junk...... that's why I'm asking .

There are timken ones made in taiwan, these need modified axles and are poorly adjustable, but they are relatively cheap ..Then there are the hubs on SKF needle bearings made in europe which will fit the OEM axles. Might be a bit more pricy but you will get a quality hub.
In the USA there is a company Visionary cycle products that has recently imported a reasonable qty of these hubs, they might have one or two left. On the outside they are just like original hubs, the hub is fully OEM compatible, just the internals are fitted with modern day technology.. I wouldnt say they are junk, they are very very often used on even modern day bikes to convert em to an vintage look, and are able to hold heavy motorcycles at high speeds and all..

Pa Site Admin

I recommend what Samsup says John. He is a solid honest Bro.

Thank you Samsup and Pa. Visionary products is currently showing that they are out of stock. I have e-mailed in hopes that they will be back in stock in the relative near future. I was un-aware of there being a hub out there that featured sealed bearings. This is great as I would like to use a ceramic sealed bearing. Thanks again !
John

If visionary is out they will be out for a while, there is no fresh supply of hubs going to the USA anytime soon. You can try old school motorcycle company, or foxrivercycle, they have also imported some hubs recently, if they are also out I am afraid you will have to try a european supplier like W&W or motorcyclestorehouse to have a pair left.

Samsup, I e-mailed Visionary and it turned out they did have a black hub with a chrome star. > It's on the way .

Pa Site Admin

john k. endrizzi wrote:
Samsup, I e-mailed Visionary and it turned out they did have a black hub with a chrome star. > It's on the way .

Awesome John !! Don't forget to show it to us all when you get it laced up.

Return to Knuckles