Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Knuckles generator gear

generator gear

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Had to put my old gerator in last weekend my gear was showing some wear looking for a good replacement maybe made in the usa did not see gears at cycle eleictic any help

live to ride t.shoe

Post Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:36 am
don User avatar

You may have my gear off a pan generator, shelved since mid 70's.
I only have B/T flats. gear is nice, 14T fits 4 spline shaft and pinned on.
don
Last edited by don on Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:44 pm

thanks Don my gear is 13th

live to ride t.shoe

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:32 pm

When Pablo was getting his pan shovel ready to go to Sturgis last year he showed me 4 or 5 aftermarket gears he bought that were a sloppy fit. He was getting desperate and every thing he ordered was a terribly loose fit and he didn't want to ruin the brand new generator. So I took a wet rag and stuffed it into and around the gear then took his torch set to a neutral flame and brought the splines up to a dull red then cooled it with the wet rag, it took twice to get it to size then I heated it again still keeping the gear cool and let it cool slow. It is now a light press fit. Last time I talked to him he still hadn't gotten an aftermarket that was any better and my bandaid was still in service.
Dusty

Post Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:13 pm

Might as well, Dusty!

The teeth were probably already soft.
You may even have improved them.

.....Cotten

Post Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:20 pm

If the splines and teeth lined up I wouldn't have tried it. When I started the gear teeth were too hard to cut with a file and the splines were soft. I figured it was junk to start with so I couldn't do any harm. When I finished the gear teeth were still too hard to cut but the splines were a little harder than when I started. If the gear teeth were over the splines, shrinking the splines would have shrunken the teeth even if I rehardened them they would howl. This old pan makes enough noise in the camcase without me making it worse. I've seen people put the part they don't want hot in water but that make the transition from hot to cold a very straight line and occasionally starts a crack there the tightly wrapped rag saturated in cold water has never failed me so far.
Dusty

Return to Knuckles