Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Indians Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:41 am

LarryP wrote:
I like the open ended terminology. "medium hammer fit".

That means I got it a little tighter than I intended and had to finish with a hammer. If it had been a tight hammer fit I probably would have tried to get it back out, if not bored it back out and started over.
Dusty

Post Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:52 pm

I've been using propane to get parts a little smaller to fit tight spaces. Bought one of those do-dads where you turn your 20 pounder upside down and refill your little torch tanks. It didn't work for that, but if you use it backwards, screw it on an upside down torch tank, it shoots liquid propane out in a healthy flow, and chills down parts nicely to where the will drop in instead of a press fit. Propane boils at -40deg, pretty cold, and beats the freezer. Did a sweet job on a shovel valve seat.
I suppose if you took the orifice out of a regular propane torch, you could do the same thing. Never tried it though.
DL

Post Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:33 pm
Pa Site Admin

Did you not have concerns .0075 would be a bit to tight and crack the case again ?

Dusty-Dave wrote:
Then I discovered that the pinion race bore is well machined just to an odd size that isn't available now if it ever was. So I started making a pinion race with a .0075 oversize OD.
This drill bit in rockwell 45 shaft is all the little Atlas Craftsman wanted even in back gear.
Dusty

Post Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:27 pm

The case measured .0075 over standard so I made the race .009 over a thousandth and a half sounded about right If I ever make another I'll probably back off to a thousandth negative. The rocker arm pivot bores and the cam bearing bores all look to be different sizes haven't measured real close haven't decided whether to to bore them to a standard os or make to fit parts yet. I'll fix the mating surface first.
Dusty

Post Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:10 pm

The wife passed last week so I'm trying to keep my head up and find thigs to keep busy so I'm back at it.
With all that welding this is the straightest case half out of this lot. .002 to cleanup after the weld was smoothed .110.

Dusty

Post Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:44 pm
Pa Site Admin

My deepest sincere condolences Dusty.

Post Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:58 am

Sorry for your loss, Dusty.

Post Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:57 pm

Got lucky on fleebay didn't really need this case half but for $49.00 I'll fix it just in case (Bad Pun)
Started making rocker arm shaft bushings seemed easier to make bushings to fit than to set the cases up in the mill and bore to a standard oversize.
First one parted off.
Ready to push in.
Will start making the shafts in a day or three. Making them out of Rockwell C75 pins so will have to be ground.
Dusty

Post Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:10 pm
Pa Site Admin

Beautiful work Dusty ! :)

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:28 pm

A homemade Line Lap.
Cases in place.
Checking progress
Made it to kinda round and sorta straight.
Better get back at it.
Dusty

Previous

Return to Indians