Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Indians Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:53 pm
Pa Site Admin

I can't wait to hear that engine scream Dusty ! :)

Post Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Getting a little more done. Made a pair of cylinders flat on top and flat on bottom with an o-ring grove.
20190903_153129.jpg

20190903_153100.jpg

Dusty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:13 pm

Now I'm making them round
My fixture holds the cylinder on the carriage It's a little fiddly to setup took bout 4 hours this time.
GEDC0374.JPG

The boring bar getting ready to take a very cautious .005" first pass.
GEDC0375.JPG

And getting to the other end.
GEDC0379.JPG

Dusty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:08 pm

All done except fitting the pistons.

Dusty

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:40 pm
Pa Site Admin

Now that is improvising at its best !! :D

Post Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:47 pm

Couldn't find any aircraft tubing in the wall thickness I wanted at a reasonable price so I bought heavy wall for much less and am turning a few pounds off.
Dusty

Post Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:21 pm
Pa Site Admin

A length like that is difficult to keep a uniform size over the full length. I don't envy you on that task. ;)

Post Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:54 pm

Pa wrote:
A length like that is difficult to keep a uniform size over the full length. I don't envy you on that task. ;)

I've got one of these for my Logan!

Never ever used it.

....Cotten

Post Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:42 pm

Yep I had my steady rest out and used it twice in ever pass except the first to keep the length short enough that it wouldn't ring like a bell, it started ringing on the next pass after the picture. Just didn't think to take any pictures of it prolly cuz it looks way more worn out than yours. Once it got below .080 or so, I was really wishing for a travel rest. If I stopped and made one for sure I would never need it again. Just held a gloved hand about 3 inches from the tool on the back side. Used it when i cut the tube to length also.
Dusty

Post Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:33 pm
Pa Site Admin

You are a master at improvising Dusty. A follower rest can work great if the bed is not worn and the carriage is good and taunt to the bed ways. The trusty ole file sure comes in handy along with a dial indicator to check for run-out as one files along the sizing. That singing is really difficult to silence sometimes. I know you will get the job done though.

Post Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:03 pm

Took a sawzall to the tubes and brackets on the Ninja neck then spun them off.
I think it ready to weld.
Dusty

Previous

Return to Indians