Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Indians Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:26 am
Pa Site Admin

Nice work again Dusty !!

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:56 am

Looks fantastic, Dusty!

Just me, but I would have cut oversize buttons, and then radius-trimmed them, in place, to the bore size by mounting the piston upon a face plate with a draw bar.

As if I had time.

....Cotten
PS: If anybody needs PEEK scraps, I have an unlimited supply at twenty-five cents a gram.
(That's half of MSC pricing..)

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:59 pm

I considered turning each button to a crown. But decided that just chucking each piston with the buttons epoxied in place and turning to fit the cylinder it's going to run in was lots easier and would still be way lower friction than a complete skirt touching. If I find my self real close to a record I may have to reconsider some of these type decisions.
Dusty

Post Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:09 pm

Started mocking the lower end up to check Fit etc.
I will use the drive side case.
Hit the mains a tiny bit with the line lap.
Vaselined up the cages and loaded the rollers
Crank assy slid right in and spins free!
Slipped the pistons without rings.and cylinders on, amazing how free it is so far. A quarter turn by hand and it will coast a round ands a half.
Started inspecting , right off the rear piston is .005 lower at TDC than the front. Really pretty close for 80 year old cylinders that show to have been surfaced and I did a minimum cleanup on the base gasket surfaces. Need lots more checking then I can make the thrust washers and balance it.
Dusty

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:43 am
Pa Site Admin

The difference I believe Dave may be in the cylinder gasket surface from head to base. I inspected more than a dozen NOS HD 45 cylinders for that measurement and found some as much as .030" in variances. I managed to mate a pair within a .001" or .002".

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:55 am

Well should I take the valves back out and take.0054 off the tall cylinder? Or make a base gasket out of 20 Bond paper? wasn't gonna use base gaskets just the o-rings.
Dusty

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:01 pm

Pablo here is the left tank. Just seemed like a day to weld
Cant do the other until I get some more .040 tig electrodes.
These will make the top frame rail and be outboard of the cylinders One for gasoline and one for methanol.
Dusty

Post Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:02 am
Pa Site Admin

Dusty-Dave wrote:
Well should I take the valves back out and take.0054 off the tall cylinder? Or make a base gasket out of 20 Bond paper? wasn't gonna use base gaskets just the o-rings.
Dusty

If the area turns out to be the base gasket surface to remove material from then all is great. Got to measure combustion chambers to determine that first though. Some folks use a liquid measurement means of determining combustion chamber volume. Checking the heads should be way close enough to tell those differences if any.

Post Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:29 am

Is .005" a big deal?

Post Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:05 pm

What are them tank caps from? Tanks look gooder

Post Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:41 pm

.0054 seems important for a race engine. That figures out to .03505 cubic inches either more or less volume above the piston.

The heads are being CNCd so hopefully If I get everything as close as I can below the deck, hopefully there won't be much fine tuning.

Bought the bungs and caps at https://coyotegear.com/
Dusty

Post Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:02 pm

Oh, I meant the tank ends...

Post Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:20 pm

The tank heads came from the Bung King. They are heavier than I wanted, proly 12 gauge. But about the same weight as an orange peel and way quicker than all those cuts n welds on an orange peel. My orange peels never come out that gooder. OBTW they have them in 5" & 6".
Dusty

Post Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:35 pm

Got the frame standing on its feet. It's adjusted as long and as tall as it gets.
Started fitting the right tank -top frame rail
Proly leave the tanks just tacked up untill I get the engine in it.
Dusty

Post Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:19 am
Pa Site Admin

Coming along great Dave !

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:06 pm

With both tanks in place.
I'll leave the tank mounts just tacked until I get the engine in it to be sure. I'll tear it back down tomorrow and tig the rest of the rear section. The ruler shows 8 1/2 " with a real front tire that's not flat proly another 1" I think I couldn't want it any higher and it'll adjust down till it drags.
Dusty

Previous

Return to Indians