Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Indians Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Post Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:55 pm
Pa Site Admin

Try ceramic tooling Dusty. You can't take much of a cut but it will do the job. I cut many a train car wheels with it and those puppies are hard. Surface speed must be high and you must keep the tool in the material with zero interruption..

Post Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:37 am

I'm gettin there with what I have on hand. Still need .020 more depth on the left 3 and a final profile cut on all. Didn't mean to get my totally unautomatic spray bottle in the pic.
Dusty

Post Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:10 pm

Finished the pulley this afternoon. Center drilled it to make grinding the shaft easier if the bearings ever get here.
Dusty

Post Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:59 pm

OBTW the wife informed me that it will be named  Dohasah (pronounced doe-hah-sah), which means 'swift' in Western Apache. Since she controls my sex life, Dohasah is a wonderful choice n I will paint it on the bike.

Dusty  :wink:

Post Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:05 pm
Pa Site Admin

Dusty-Dave wrote:
OBTW the wife informed me that it will be named  Dohasah (pronounced doe-hah-sah), which means 'swift' in Western Apache. Since she controls my sex life, Dohasah is a wonderful choice n I will paint it on the bike.

Dusty  :wink:

Now that is some kind of wisdom !! :lol:

Post Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:59 pm

Started making all the pointy ends the cutoff wheel on the hand grinder left smooth and round.
Dusty

Post Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:09 pm
Pa Site Admin

Glad to see you making progress Dusty.

Post Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:19 pm

Got the outside round enough for the band clamp I plan to mount it with. So started the boring part of the job.
The bore is now 22mm to fit the ceramic bearings.
Dusty

Post Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:44 pm

Shaft had a small amount of wear, I'm down .060 n still haven't found the bottom. It finally cleaned up about .020 before I hit 10mm. Far as I can go until the rest of the bearings get here.
https://goo.gl/photos/o4vmGAeh8C2zRxH4A
Dusty

Post Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:03 pm
Pa Site Admin

How many bearing sizes did you order Dusty ?

Post Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:19 pm

Just one size but they only shipped half and I haven't seen the backordered ones. I'll call them and bitch and moan again next week. The large part of the shaft was the only part with bearings, the thin part reaches way into the center of the compressor volute.
Dusty

Post Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:02 pm

Got all the bearings and a few minutes without sumptin to do. Slid 3 into the belt side a spring then one on the compressor side.
Screwed the impeller back on and torqued it.
Thrust was fine without any adjustment. So I put the volute on.
Then I applied a little BBQ Metallic Black cuz it was handy.
ImageThats it till I get the engine in a frame.
Dusty

Post Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:05 pm

I did do the math and the final drive ratio for the first test will be 1 to 15.4 which will give me a little over 46000 blower rpm at 3000 engine rpm. As oversized as this turbo is hopefully that will be enough so that I don't have to have a jackshaft.
Dusty

Post Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:12 pm
Pa Site Admin

Waiting patiently with anticipation Bro. :)

Previous

Return to Indians