Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Indians Magneto points cam

Magneto points cam

Post Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:57 am

Regarding a magneto for a scout 45 engine. I have a magneto that has the body of a HD sportster or morris type magneto but the base is different. The mag has a aluminum machined base that fits the cast iron oil pump.
This mag has sat on a scout engine that has not run for 20 years. I am rebuilding the engine and want to use the magneto.

There is no drive from the magneto to the oil pump and the points cam appears to be for a single cylinder engine.

My question is assuming i am able to machine a drive to fit oil pump gear what can i do to make the points cam work? if a cam grinder shop was able to re-make the points cam what would the spec be?? could i use a points cam from a distributor and weld on.

its a cool mag and i want to use it, any help with ideas out there??

Post Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:14 am

Morris had the instructions online at one time to file a Hardly points cam to work in an indian. Didn't see it last time I looked. Maybe a email or phone call would get you a copy. Don't know if it was the same instructions but most just grind a flat tang on the shaft like the Indian distributor had. but the length and orientation has to be right. Since Morris sells that mag for Indians maybe they would sell you a shaft. Does it already have the two wire coil?
Dusty

Post Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:37 am

i been emailing with morris, sent pictures, they want me to just buy one of their mags and i understand that. The mag i have all the internals from a morris or HD mag will fit, the difference is in the rotor and points cam. Seems if i could buy their rotor with indian points cam i would be good. Since that seems not possible can i cut off points cam and fit some type of indian cam or have a cam grinder build up the points cam and grind to indian spec.
Where would i find the spec from?

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:03 pm

Hello everyone. I just wanted to put the info out there that the folks at morris magneto helped me a bunch, they answered my "dumb" questions and were able to sell me a rotor with points cam for this old mag, also they sold me their magneto drive for the cast iron indian oil pump, i will be able to modify to use with the different magneto.

Thank you morris mags.

Post Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:33 am

If you would post the part numbers and any other info on the Indian - I'll just leave this here page maybe it will be easier or the next person. Yeh I could have picked a better name for a parts list thread but It seemed good back then.
Thanks
Dave

Return to Indians