Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Rewiring handlebar pod switchgear - single right-side pod

Rewiring handlebar pod switchgear - single right-side pod

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Here's a question for all those folks with disc front brakes.

I have a wiring problem, which has come up as part of my XLCH project but also applies to the 45 bike.

The XLCH doesn't have indicators, and the 45 has the usual foot clutch. The right-side handlebar pod will be there anyway as part of the brake cylinder/lever assembly. The purpose of the exercise is to rewire the right-side switchgear pod to provide the necessary functions - dip/main and horn and eliminate the left-side handlebar pod.

So... The original indicator button can be retired easily to operate the horn. It looks as though the second button (originally the starter) can be connected to act as an ENGINE STOP button, by earthing the current temporarily.

However the rocker switch is the question, and the question is - can the original KILL switch be repurposed as a DIP/MAIN switch, or do I need to switch the original rocker over from the left side?
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

The kill switch is a single pole, single throw switch, so no easy way to make it a dip switch. If you can actually get the hi/low switch from the left pod to fit, go for it. I don't think it's a direct bolt in, the castings are shaped differently, if I recall correctly. It's been awhile since I've been inside the older pods, I'm more used to working with the newer ones. I work part time in a small independent shop, and guys are always bringing in their bikes to get higher bars put on, and extending the wiring assy's is one of the PIA's you have to deal with.

Good luck,
DL

I'd thought that was probably the case. I find that the older, iron-head era switches are available as switches only, so the two bikes will have different solutions.

I have a dip/main switch on the ironhead, so I'll dismantle the pods and see what I can learn
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

As I recall, there are little stamped steel brackets that screw in place and dress wires and hold the switches in place by pressure only, so probably something can be rigged up.
Good luck
DL

Return to General Whatever-Technical