Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical sidecar attachment

sidecar attachment

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.
Post Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:50 am

Hi guys,

I thought we had this discussion already but I couldn't find it in the archive. So, here's the question

I have a 46 Knuck with correct offset springer and there is an original sidecar attached to it. At low speeds the front end wobbles like crazy. Any thoughts? Someone sent me last time a detailed picture of the correct assemply of the rear sidecar mount ... please send again.
any other ideas how to fix this issue. At 60mph its all fine

thanks
Klaus

Post Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:54 am
GuS

Post Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:14 am

Thanks GuS

that's exactly the conversation I was trying to find. Well, guess I will need to do something with my original rear mount to get more toe-in.
I will keep you posted

KLaus

Post Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:47 am
GuS

Klaus, in the original post you stated you needed Arnolds arms to handle the rig.
That is one symptom of wrong alignment. Can be corrected with more toe in. My original post describe that one in detail.

How is the rig under acelleration? Say running in 70 kph, and increasing speed to 90? Is she pulling you to the right?Do yo have to keep her straight by fighting to the left?

Your last post talks about her being fine at high speed. Assume you dont have to fight her?
Then you state wobble at low speed.
That is symptom of something else.

Wrong front wheel trail is the most likely reason. You state to have the correct fork. Have you measured the trail?
The wobble can be helped with a tight steering damper. Do you have one?
GuS

Post Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:47 pm

BAVARIAN_KNUCKLE wrote:
Thanks GuS

that's exactly the conversation I was trying to find. Well, guess I will need to do something with my original rear mount to get more toe-in.
I will keep you posted

KLaus

Make sure you have the jam nuts between the rear mount and the frame as in the picture I posted.

Post Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:34 am

Chris,

everything is as shown on the pictures. I actually put even a spacer between the nut and the bracket. But it seems that toe-in is still not enough ... still wobbling at low speed

Klaus

Post Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:03 am

Klaus!

If you have geometric "toe-in", and still wobble, then I would suggest experimenting with tire pressures.
I had much better luck with 'less' than specs, but I always ran modern tires spec'd very very high, obviously for solos....
(Or at least they were modern tires at the time!)

Often I ran 5:00-16s at eleven to fourteen psi on the hack wheel.
(But I never knew what I was going to pick up at the bar.)

....Cotten

Return to General Whatever-Technical