Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Electronic Ignition for Knuckle

Electronic Ignition for Knuckle

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.
Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:09 pm

Looking for electronic ignition for my 47 Knuck, my sportster knee just about giving out. I found a V-Tronic electronic ignition by ARHcustom that mounts on my points plate for about $198, way cheaper than a complete Accel distributor. I know Dusty is running sumtin similar on his Injun. Does anabody have any experience with this or similar ignition?
Gracias, Pablo

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:58 pm

Bow hout keeping the points and using them to trip a GM HEI module? Not as pretty as the after market stuff but way cheaper. The current flow is so low that the points last virtually forever. I'm going ta do that to my 50 next time I mess wit it. It's got to be 12 volts though, the HEI module wont trip on 6V. I got the 2 I'm using on the Bonneville bike for $7.50 each on Fleebay.
Dusty

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:40 pm

I'm confused Folks!

Will such an ignition make it start with less than one kick?

Thanks in advance as always,..

....Cotten

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Im hoping to go from 10 kicks to 2

Post Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:49 am

If everything is in order, Pablo,..

They were designed to start with one 'hot' kick (priming kicks don't count..)

You can throw a bunch of money at some flying saucer technology, or you can fix the real thing.

Are you sure its just the ignition?

....Cotten

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:50 pm

My pan and 88 inch shovel pan both have Accel electronic and start up easier but I should go back and check the knuk over.
Thanx for yur suggestions

Post Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:51 am

Should create a better spark, correct?

Post Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:58 am

nanonevol wrote:
Should create a better spark, correct?

I think that's up to the coil, nanoevol!

The whole sales pitch for electronics seems to be that there is are no points or condensors.

....Cotten

Post Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:44 pm

Welp Cotten,
Ur kinda right The coil and primary resistance are the limiting factors for total output under ideal conditions. But the coil is also limited by how clean the current interruption is. The condenser kinda makes up for some of the surface arcing and varying surface capatince as the points move and inevitable burning and pitting . No coil makes more voltage than it takes to take the shortest path of least resistance. So if there is enough potential EMF those awful resistance wires and plugs will raise the firing voltage. Unfortunately Your 6 volt coil doesn't have any spare potential. Yes you could wind a 6 volt coil that would have more potential power but the current flow through the points had pretty well hit the limit in the 40s. Just the change to 12 volts and resistance wires changed running output from about 5-6 KV to 8-9 KV according to my scope. So other than the total lack of field repair the switched transistor does make a cleaner voltage build and more potential ( I carry a distributor with points to get me home if that happens in the left saddle bag) Last time I thought I had trouble with one of Moen's solid state units it turned out to be the NAPA coil that was the same age as the solid state hocus pocus.
Dusty

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:56 pm

Now lets talk about the ones that actually get the coil to put out more. The capacitive discharge units CDI inverts system voliage to around 300 volts storing it in a capacitor then discharging it through the coil primary . This sudden discharge over charges the coil to the point that the inductance that could be ignored at more normal potientals cause the voltage to rise well beyound normal discharge points.They go right off the scale on my 20 kv scope. They dont burn out the coil {too rapidly} because the discharge is only a few milisecods long.There are varrients but this is the gist.
Dusty

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:22 pm

That's too highly intesticle for me to comprehend

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:36 pm

Pablo,
Is your Knuck 12 volts.
Dusty

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:31 pm

Yup!
Doce voltas

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:55 pm

As long as you don't zone out like Jim did this will convert your points to HEI.
You don't need the ballast resistor just the 1k pullup. But if you walk away with the key on it's gonna blow!
I could whup up the last one of these In an hour or so proly less than $25.00. Ant it will be immune to the Jim effect!
http://gpzweb.s3-website-us-east-1.amaz ... oints.html
The racer uses hall effect pickups so doesn't need the extra hocus pocus. If'n it quits All you got ta do is flip the switch to go back ta regular points. Or ya can use the TFI Ford module it doesn't need the 1k pull up resistor. But theyseem a little more fragile than the HEI.
Dusty

Return to General Whatever-Technical