Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Linkert needle valve lever

Linkert needle valve lever

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.
Post Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:39 am

Has the needle valve lever (27395-27) always had a captive ball and spring? I have 2 that appear never to have had them.
Assuming they should have and I can obtain a suitable ball bearing (what size?) any ideas on how to make them captive. It would be a shame to waste them.
Thanks
Ron

Post Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:33 am

The choke detentes were staked so gently, Ron,..

That they often fell out upon disassembly. Lift levers and highspeed needle detentes usually stayed put.

The balls are 5/32" in diameter.
Re-staking is mostly a convenience in case you must disassemble on the road, and great care must be taken to avoid setting the ball too deep.

My punch is 3/16" diameter, and countersunk slightly to center upon the ball. After greasing the spring and ball to hold it in place, the punch is used to depress the ball below the surface of the casting, and smacked lightly until the ball is retained by a lip 'upset' by the punch.

DTNTSTAK.jpg

Smack it too hard, and you will have to weld it out!

Please note also that the lift lever spring is shorter, and using too long of a spring will bind.

DTNTSPGS.jpg

....Cotten
PS: Beware that potmetal Schebler chokes are often too brittle from age to stake safely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:08 am

Thanks Cotten. I have enough for my present needs, so another little repair job down the line.

Ron

Post Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:16 am

You will spend much more effort figuring out a fixture, Ron,..

Than you will staking them!

The cam follower ball is not only a different size (9/32" maybe, I'd have to look), but its 'upset' appears to be 'spun' to a bezel. So I cheat and just put a dab o' silver solder on the worn spot.

AGBALL.jpg

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to General Whatever-Technical