Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Ben Campanale

Ben Campanale

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:24 pm

Sorry Folks, I know it's not the first time I mention my friend Ben Campanale, but I just got a letter from his sister Josie. Ben is 88 years old, still in a nursing home and doesn't get out of his bed anymore. He now has a tube in his stomach for feeding and weighs only 86 lbs. But he doesn't complain. It's amazing to see how alert he is, especially if you talk about motorcycles, he's all set. Some of his friends are visiting him, some others are writing and he enjoys each and every letter his sister reads him. So if you're living nearby Worcester and are a fan of the last surviving Daytona 200 winner (1938 and 1939) you might go and visit him at Christopher House in Worcester Mass. (10, Mary Scano Dr. near Belmont Street - (508) 754 3800). You can also write a letter to him and send it to his sister, she visits him every day and reads his mail for him. Her address is : Josie Tiscione, 22 Hunnewell Rd, Worcester, MA 01606. Thanks to all those who'll support him for what might be his last big race !

Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:49 pm
jfb

Thanks for the address Charlie. Getting off my duff to write a letter to someone who's photograph I've seen numerous times over the years as I looked at old Harleys is probably one of the more worthwhile things I might do in this hobby.I'm trying to imagine what life must be like for him and how I'd deal with it, but I'm probably not even close.Thanks to all who've posted stories about the old timers here; wish I could spend time with all of them.

John

Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:15 am

Thanks Charlie. You will be going to "flat track" heaven for all your good actions! Campy has always been one of my favorites. I'll write him and tell him how much he has made guys like me dream.

Everyone, like Charlie said, this is our chance to salute one of the greatest men of 1940s american motorcycle racing. Let's not miss it!
Eric

------------------
Eric :: Knk45
www.beautyofspeed.com
A state of the art power quest

Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:30 pm

Yep, me too!
Thank you Charley.

Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:41 pm

Thanks again to all of you guys, like I said, Benny enjoys every single letter he receives, even if you never met him before he will be glad to know he still has a couple of fans, like in the good ol' days more than 60 years ago. I recently saw a movie called "Ed Wood" staring Johnny Depp. Martin Landau is supposed to be the aging Bela Lugosi, an actor everyone has forgotten in the late 1950's. Some of the oldtime racers are reminding me of the 1920's silent movie actors and it's great that some of us "youngsters" show them that they're not forgotten for everyone. I guess they prefer to have friends like us than being inducted in some stupid Hall of Fame...

Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:42 pm

thanks for keeping us up to date Charlie. Campy will be in our prayers. Also don't forget, if you are in Dayotna next month, that the Great Men/Great Machines parade and autograph session will be at the Daytona speedway mar 4. You can meet and talk with many of the old guys. Their numbers are dwindling so do it this year.

------------------
moon

Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:59 pm

Moon,
I'll see you in the Infield. Also have a dinner scheduled with Art Delor, I guess you'll be there (or do the Injun guys don't mix with the Harley crowd ?)

Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:36 pm

we mix but like oil and water. there's something weird about those Indian riders. See ya at Daytona

------------------
moon

[This message has been edited by moonWR69 (edited 16 February 2003).]

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:24 pm

I know this post is over 10 years old but I wanted to reply. I was watching American Pickers on tv last week and they were sifting thru a collection of wla parts. The show flashed some old pics onscreen and one was of Ben Campanale. I did some online research and this post was the first that came up. Further searching found some Rhode Island connections etc. that was really interesting to learn about. I live in RI and didn't know anything about him!

Return to General Whatever-Technical