Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties Box full of neutrals..

Box full of neutrals..

Post Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:06 am

I've just had the 45 running, and very sharp it sounds BUT, the gearbox seems to be full of neutrals. The lever moves full travel, but I'm completely unable to select a gear. This is on a box supposedly rebuilt by the previous owner.

Tinkering about, I have two other boxes on the bench, one in supposedly original NOS condition, one claimed to have been rebuilt by a German well known in the field. Neither will select gears consistently, rotating the clutch and moving the selector arm.

I'm baffled. Any suggestions?
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:54 pm

I like them that way, 45Brit!

If you tip over you can slap it out of gear without getting your foot to the clutch.

Otherwise it can do donuts without you.

....Cotten

Post Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:58 am

You've got 3 gear positions and 3 possible neutral positions with that gearbox.

Depending on your shifter linkage adjustment you could hit a false neutral if first is over shifted, normal neutral position between first and second, and a false neutral between second and high.

Get the rear wheel off the ground, while rocking the rear wheel with one hand (aligning shifter clutches with gears) move the shifter lever slowly the full length of the shifter gate and you can see what position the lever is in when transmission is in each gear and adjust your linkage as necessary.

Post Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:13 pm

Ok, that sounds good to me. I have some time off coming so I’ll look into it.

Post Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:06 pm
Pa Site Admin

Possibilities ? Your shifter fork clearances are wrong or your shifter drum cam has to much end play travel in it. I also agree on the other suggestions.

Post Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:11 pm

Well, no results whatsoever from that. No gears selected, in any position. Clearly the rebuilt box has something fundamentally wrong with it.

However the bike now has a healthy sounding motor and all the necessary parts to assemble it. I also have two other transmissions.

Ok, I see the way ahead now.. the racing season has just started, so time is short but I have a plan..

Return to 45 Flatties