Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties DIY cam grinding

DIY cam grinding

Post Wed May 01, 2019 3:36 am

Hi folks,

After a disappointing search for hotter cams than wldr's here in Europe, I decided to build an own cam grinding machine. And finally, just two short years later I finished 2 cam sets (one 294°set for my street stroker and a asymetric 312°set for a 45 racer, both 10mm/0,393in lift) with the cut off - press on - adjust - and weld on method. And surprisingly everthing runs fine so far. We will see if its durable...

Next project: Try to regrind a std cam set to KHK like profiles.
My question: I am asking for the std lobe center in/ex or IVO, IVC, EVO, EVC of stock cams. I already have an old set. Measuring lift and duration is no problem, but to get the other specs I need some help. I dont want to remove and open an engine just to check the std cam specs. I am sure you guys can help me with some informations.

Thanks and Best Regards!
Andre
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Wed May 01, 2019 3:53 pm

Outstanding, André!

(The welding part scares me though.)

For specs, you might get in contact with Panic (sadly barred from this forum) http://www.victorylibrary.com/books1.htm

Good luck!

....Cotten

Post Wed May 01, 2019 4:59 pm

Cotten wrote:
Outstanding, André!

(The welding part scares me though.)

For specs, you might get in contact with Panic (sadly barred from this forum) http://www.victorylibrary.com/books1.htm

Good luck!

....Cotten

I tried to let panic back on but he immediately got butthurt and lashed out at the first person who didn't agree with him. I'd like him back but he just doesn't seem to be able to play well with others.
Dusty

Post Thu May 02, 2019 4:54 am

Thanks for the response!
Yea, the victory site is an excellent source of informations. There is written that the std inlet lobe center is approx. 102 -103°. But this is just the half of the information I need to start regrinding.

Regards!

Post Thu May 02, 2019 6:52 am

Dusty-Dave wrote:
... he just doesn't seem to be able to play well with others.
Dusty
I understand, Dusty,...

I've been barred from more forums than Panic!

(The Horse, Yucky Urinal, Hawg Ryder's and Shovelhead.us at least, and bitched off of CAImag, the Pinhead and Fathead forum, etc.)

Too many divas and trolls reply by their dingleberries.

....Cotten

Post Sat May 11, 2019 11:49 pm
GuS

Great work Andre!!!
GuS

Post Sun May 12, 2019 8:36 am
Pa Site Admin

Very Nice Work !

Post Sun May 12, 2019 2:56 pm

Could we see the grinding stuff?
Dusty

Post Mon May 13, 2019 11:46 am

20190513_165850.jpg

I'll try a short explanation:
The large lever arm and the indexer are bolted to the t-slot plate which is mounted rotatable on the bottom frame. So every rotation of the cam pattern at the upper end of the lever arm (top right on the pic) moves the t-slot plate back and forth and also spins the indexer in which the actual cam is clamped. Using this method with a 10 times larger pattern and the leverage means you grind just 10% of possible drawing errors to the cam.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Wed May 15, 2019 11:27 am

I'm dumbfounded, Dr. Opossum!

I'd have to see it in action to fathom it...

....Cotten

Post Thu May 16, 2019 1:41 am

Cotten wrote:
Dusty-Dave wrote:
Dusty
I understand, Dusty,...

(The Horse, Yucky Urinal, Hawg Ryder's and Shovelhead.us at least, and bitched off of CAImag, the Pinhead and Fathead forum, etc.)

....Cotten

You're not barred........

Mr. P.
Ride Safe & Have Fun

http://www.hydra-glide.com

Post Thu May 16, 2019 10:26 am

panhead wrote:
Cotten wrote:
Dusty-Dave wrote:
Dusty
I understand, Dusty,...

....Cotten

You're not barred........

Mr. P.
Sorry Mr. P!

I won't deal with your hostile "moderator".

....Cotten

Post Sat May 18, 2019 1:57 am

Thanks for the comments!

Cotten, I can gladly add some detail pictures.
Back to my burning question. Am I right here, that the std 45 exhaust lobe center is at approximately 76 ABDC?

Regards!
Andre

Post Sat May 18, 2019 10:41 am

Andre!

I can only conjure in my tinkertoy mind that the two tall trusses act like a pantograph to copy a pattern, which I cannot identify.

Its amazing, and the kind of technology and resourcefulness that is being lost to time.

Please, please continue to share your efforts!

...Cotten

Post Sat May 18, 2019 2:30 pm

I believe the pattern is at the top. This is a tracer.

Post Mon May 20, 2019 11:37 am

20190513_165801.jpg
Hi,
there you have the upper side view. The left framework is firmly bolted to the lower frame. On its top is an adjustable board in the shape of a circle segment with a 10times larger dia than the grinding wheel. On the right side you can see the lever arm with the cam pattern or template clamped on an axle which is rotated by hand. As you can imagine the lobe of the rotating cam pattern moves the lever arm from side to side and also the indexer (previous picture) from side to side since both are bolted to the rotatable mounted t-slot plate. The rotation is transfered by belt to the indexer/taistock combo.

Regards!
Andre

Post Mon May 20, 2019 3:39 pm

dr. Did you build this machine?

Post Thu May 23, 2019 11:16 am

Many thanks for sharing this, Andre!

....Cotten

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:47 pm

Dr. Opossum, Ferkin wow! Am currently indexing and welding on cam lobes for racing 45 engine, give me a day or two and will post comprehensive data both inlet and exhaust. Just have to say again, Ferkin wow!
Hozay. Every day is Saturday.

Post Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Thank you, Hozay! I also would like to know which welding rod you use and with which method you harden the lobe surface. I have tried a hard overlay tig weld too but after the hardening process I got a nice little cam for the glass cabinet. So I left that issue to the metall pros and decided to fabricate complete new lobes.

Regards!
Andre

Next

Return to 45 Flatties