Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties locking the left twist grip

locking the left twist grip

Post Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:45 pm

happy New Year to all. . .

found myself helping a friend with a new aquistion last month. he now has a 41 45" solo.
in trying to start it, i found out the hard way that the timer has been upgraded to an auto timer.
i found this out by ripping the left twist grip off. it was a bit tite to turn. experience with my Chief told me to pull a bit harder.
it came loose and slid off the bar. that was when i discovered there was no cable in there. i looked at the timer and found it was upgraded.
so i need to re attach the grip. seems it was glued on with something.
whoever set it up this was seems to be unavailable to get advice from.
SO. . .
whats is the best way to reattach the left grip and eliminate the twist?
i find it hard to beiliev glueing it in is a good idea.
if that is the current recommendation. what sort of glue?

thx. .

D~~~!

Post Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:37 am

My 45 is fitted with a hunt magneto at a fixed advance. No issues. I simply removed the internal twist grip parts, then refitted the twist grip handle back and drilled a hole for a self taper towards the end of the bar...through the twist grip. Screw in the self taper and refit the rubber grip. Completely hidden, safe and reversable if I ever decide to go back to a moveable timer.
* Don't use glue!

Post Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:55 am

thank u.
what type head on the screw?
how much room between the grip sleeve and the rubber grip did u have?

Post Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:00 am

Perhaps an inch. Just survey the grip, drill the hole and screw in a self tapper. I used a regular dome head , phillips drive self tapper. Push the rubber grip over the handle. There will be a slight buldge over the screw head. No big deal. With a bit more effort you could used a tapered head screw and countersink it into the handle.

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:33 pm

thx.

Post Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:09 am

Drill, tap, install set screw with red Loctite, no bulge in grip.

Post Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:49 am

hmmm. . .
u mean like an hex head set screw?

Post Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:58 pm

Yes

Return to 45 Flatties