Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties Stroked bike

Stroked bike

Post Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:22 pm

With being stuck indoors, and no racing so far, I’ve revived this long-dormant project.

I’ve now acquired a stock frame in good order, complete with registration (title, for our Colonial Cousins) and started transferring parts across, that I was going to use for the racer.

Here’s the gearbox, which is a 1940 2-bolt which appears unused..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/57lnfm347oexl ... 2.jpg?dl=0
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:06 am
Pa Site Admin

Nice Find !!!! Do you also have the narrow clutch ?

Post Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:47 pm

Yes, I do. What I really want is the narrow chaincase to suit, but I’m presently looking at a BSA outer cover.

Post Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:41 am

I’ve now fitted the 2-bolt clutch into the Samwell replica frame which I’m presently using. I’ve decided to get the stock frame properly refinished when time and circumstances allow, so I’m continuing with the repop frame for the time being.

The frame needed some fettling to the gearbox cradle, but nothing that a few minutes with a Dremel couldn’t handle. The lugs on this box are slightly wider (0.25mm, approx) than the previous 3-bolt one, according to the callipers.. old Bikes, hey-ho. Nice snug fit now, though.

I’ve found a supplier of the narrow chaincase, but it’s $500 plus shipping from US, plus import tax so I don’t think that’s the first option! I have a couple of repop WL primaries and a BSA pressed steel unit to work with, I’m sure I’ll think of something..

Post Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:09 am

Not sure if I understand your post correctly or not, but if you're using a 2 bolt tranny in a 3 bolt frame with a OEM style rear brake assembly your chain will be out of alignment by about 7/16".

The tranny sprocket on a 2 bolt sits inboard approx. 7/16" more than on a 3 bolt tranny. If you're using a different type rear brake assy. and making your own spacers you can achieve proper chain alignment.

I'm not a sheet metal guy or welder, but if you are or know someone who is, it's not hard at all to make a narrow primary cover from one of your WL ones. I've had a couple made, and they look and work just like an original.

You will need to cut down the WL cover at the offset for the clutch basket so you end up with a 1/4" in this area.

Post Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:45 pm

That’s right. I’ve got several wheels for this bike. The original plan was to use a wheel with a WR type sprocket, which would have matched the chain line given a little work with spacers. However there isn’t a brakeless class in U.K. flat track as it has developed, so I also have the options of a narrow type brake drum, or a Matchless rear wheel which looks to be the right dimensions. So I don’t have a complete answer yet, but I can see how to reach a solution.

I have a couple of contacts who could do the cut-down cover for me, but I didn’t look at the dimensions yet. Do you have a picture of one you have done?

Post Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Don't know how to post pictures, but it looks just like the one you were looking at in the US for $500

Post Wed May 06, 2020 1:10 pm

Just finished refurbishing the rear brake drum. I opted to go with the narrow (2-bolt type) brake drum, so I ordered a new sprocket (the old one was beyond use). Rather than all the rivet peening, I’ve done that once before... I fitted the sprocket using UNF 6-40 cap screws and nylock nuts. I’ll have to get the Dremel out to trim off the protruding ends of the screws, not a big job.

Next job is fitting the right combination of parts and spacers to get it all together!

I’ve also sorted the right combination of the bearing and sprocket cover to fit that side together, although the rod will need trimming to length - again, not a big job.

A contact of mine has offered to cut down the chaincase. I’ve cut down a ribbed steel rear mudguard for that “period” look..

Post Wed May 06, 2020 8:43 pm
Pa Site Admin

How about some pics ? Just got to see the progress in this project you have going on.

Post Wed May 06, 2020 11:14 pm

I don’t know how to post images on here, since the photobucket business I stopped using online photo sites because I don’t make enough use of them to justify a subscription

Most of this bike has been posted before, but as a lot of those pics were on photobucket, here’s a link to a selection I’ve put on Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/67etcbdbmvtx ... gBtya?dl=0

Post Thu May 07, 2020 11:25 am

Golly 45Brit!

Just upload to this forum direct, for free!

(Pooch attached.)
PUP8.jpg

....Cotten
PS: And it won't go away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Fri May 08, 2020 6:30 am

... because I’ve never worked out how to produce pictures capable of being uploaded to this website, with its various restrictions...

Post Fri May 08, 2020 2:37 pm
Pa Site Admin

Email some pics to me. I will post them for you.

Post Mon May 25, 2020 6:40 am

Had some time to spend on this, the Matchless wheel definitely looks to be the favourite. I also have a 56t sprocket for this wheel, which was on my “to do” list for the shorter tracks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/irfaius3tdov0 ... 1.jpg?dl=0

Post Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:50 pm

After some fitting and fettling with axles and spacers, I think I’m set now ... narrow drum brake fitted into WLC frame. Pics to follow.

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:12 pm

45Brit wrote:
... because I’ve never worked out how to produce pictures capable of being uploaded to this website, with its various restrictions...

T'is easy, 45Brit!

Open your file with "Paint", resize to fifty percent or less, rename it to save it if you wish, and then it will probably upload direct.

....Cotten

Post Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:00 am

Pictures of this didn’t come out at all well, so the solution was as follows

An earlier version of this bike used a wheel I bought as a WR replica, with dished sprockets bolted on and no brake. In the event, I didn’t use it because there is no brakeless class in U.K. flat track. However on inspection, I discovered that the axle was long enough to suit a 1941-on frame, but profiled to suit a narrow, early type brake drum. I suppose this is because there is a small, but well-serviced after-market for racers using 3-bolt gearboxes with special gears to take the narrow clutch.

I managed to source a narrow brake drum, and a right-side axle sleeve to suit. I built it up using front brake shoes, anchor post and cam.

So, with a few washers to make up, I have a narrow brake drum in a wide, 3-bolt frame. The axle sleeve is long enough to get the nut on the outside, although not the spacer for the chain adjuster, and the inner axle nut goes straight on. Chain line is correct. No cutting or fabrication required.

Sometimes things just fall right!

Post Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:19 am
Pa Site Admin

45Brit...... I received a PM message alert from you, from the forum website in my email but I see no PM from you here. Did you PM me recently ?

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:31 am

No, I tried to email you using the link?

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:46 am
Pa Site Admin

Return to 45 Flatties