Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties 45 WL Flywheel Balance Factor

45 WL Flywheel Balance Factor

Post Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:07 am

He was trying to make the rod tops equal, Enigmas!

When weighing a hanging rod top, you are weighing part of the bottom as well.
RODHANG.jpg

The reason we hang them is because the bottoms go up and down also, even though they are considered rotating weight.

That's why the top of the female rod will be heavier than the top of the male, even though they are nearly identical.

....Cotten
PS: I found that leveling the two rod centers was so sensitive that I made an adjustable bubble-level for adjusting the hanging height: More flatulence in a hailstorm.
balncLVL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:18 am

Cotton et al,
What are your views (pros & cons) on drilling flywheel balance holes in this manner rather than on the side faces of the flywheels?

Post Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:05 am

I would avoid it, Enigmas!

Those apparently needed to raise the factor enormously, probably for forged pistons or heavy rods.

Its obvious how this weakens things right where forces are greatest. There are other ways to raise the factor, like dispensing with the nut retainers, thin wall wristpins, carving inside the pistons, etc.

One argument against drilling on the circumference is "windage", or how the wheels pick up oil and throw it from the bottom of the cases. Those holes are an interruption. right at the bottom of the stroke. I studied windage, but never with holes like that.
WINDAGE.jpg

Note also it is easy to 'plug and stuff' holes drilled from the side, but centrifugal forces would toss anything you would put in those, making it a one-way trip.
STUFFED.jpg

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:51 pm

Unfortunately Cotton I've lost the link to the engines that these wheels came from! IIRC the flywheels are from a tandem Indian engined 2 wheeled 'special', specifically designed to break a landspeed record.
Given the purpose of the machine there must have been some consideration regarding the effects of the flywheels and windage in the crankcases?

Post Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:46 am

I see now why they mutilated the wheels, Enigmas!

Why not just plug Mallory Metal into the countermass? That's an industry standard.

Or you can raise the factor astronomically by cutting 'windows' in the 'web' of the wheels, like the 101 in my previous 'windage' pic, where the S&S numbers are, .

I always dreamt of a plate of depleted uranium to add mass to my S&S stroker Pan.

....Cotten

Previous

Return to 45 Flatties