Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties HALLCRAFT VINTAGE DISC BRAKE CONVERSION

HALLCRAFT VINTAGE DISC BRAKE CONVERSION

Post Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:31 am

I was cleaning my garage and came across an instruction sheet for a 1975 vintage Hallcraft disc brake conversion kit part # 126-020. it changes any 1949 to 1966 star hub front drum brake to a disc brake using a small Hallcraft go-cart caliper. I bought the kit in the late 1970's , ran it for a few years , replaced it with a Harley clamshell caliper and disc brake lower leg and then sold it. It is long obsolete. I have a retro 45" chopper build going and want to run this disc setup. Does anyone have any leads for one?

I tried to post the schematic but this website said it was too big, 1MG. Any suggestions how to do it?

I tried to post the schematic but this website said it was too big, 1MG. Any suggestions how to do it?

pan957 wrote:

Most images will post if reduced 50%. I prefer to use www.postimage.org and upload to them at 640 X 480 that seems to work on any board I deal with. And I don't have two copies on my confuser to keep track of.
Dusty

Is this actually a Hallcraft caliper or a Hurst-Airhart caliper in a Hallcraft kit ?
'54 KHK since 8/70
‘13 XL1200V “72 Hard Candy”
'97 Valkyrie since 10/96

It's a Hallcraft kit with a Hallcraft/Airheart caliper and master cylinder.

This is a workable caliper with extra internals from second one I dropped and broke. Two brackets and some spacers for mounting. Hurst-Airheart handlebar masters were notorious for oxidizing and corrosion. I’m using a new 14mm bore, 25mm bar unit from Ali Express in China.
The old discs from the CGI Cycles ‘70s kit are still on the same 21” wheel that came with the kit. I just set that up to use Razor quad calipers on an XL 33.4 fork.
That’s my KHK chopper front end for my current build so the discs are not for sale.

If the HA caliper stuff is what you want let me know and we can work out a deal.
'54 KHK since 8/70
'97 Valkyrie since 10/96

Thank You for your response however your parts are not what I need. I am looking for an obscure Hallcraft single disc setup that bolts to a 1949-1966 Panhead or Shovelhead stock cable operated brake drum Hydra Glide lower leg. Yours is a newer double disc chopper setup.

Thank You for your response however your parts are not what I need. I am looking for an obscure Hallcraft single disc setup that bolts to a 1949-1966 Panhead or Shovelhead stock cable operated brake drum Hydra Glide lower leg. Yours is a newer double disc chopper setup.

Hope you find one. I was sad when H-A stopped supporting the caliper line last year. They work reasonably well.
'54 KHK since 8/70
'97 Valkyrie since 10/96

I replaced the H/A conversion with a HD clamshell caliper as I thought the HD unit would be better. It wasn't. The H/A caliper stopped as good as the HD caliper. The HD unit came with an ill fitting handlebar master cylinder and a clear nylon brake line. [yikes!] But they never failed or broke.

Return to 45 Flatties