Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties valve Guide reamer

valve Guide reamer

Post Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:07 pm
jib

hi , what size ream to I need for standard size valve stems in cast iron Guides please, cheers jib
Dude, check out that jibhead, he's crazy. Hasn't been sober for 40 years

Post Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:25 pm

You will need to measure your valve stems with a micrometer and look in the shop manual for the proper amount of clearance and add that to the stem measurement. That will give you the size of the reamer that you need. https://goodson.com/ sells quality guide reamers for a reasonable price. http://www.gosnays.co.uk is their UK outlet.

Post Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:37 pm
jib

thank u woody :D

Post Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:14 am
jib

looked up the tool people in US and UK, US want $47 the UK want $101 delivered, had a unpleasant conversation with the UK dealer about price and customs and post etc , so will see if I can source it from US

Post Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:02 am
GuS

Always wanted to buy the sunnen valve guide hone. But my reamer from k-line has kept doing an excellent job.
Got a couple of sizes for std diam and for the os chevy valves.

GuS

Post Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:17 am

Most modern guides, Folks,..

... Are "pre-sized" with clearance for a fresh valve stem, and only squeeze smaller where they are held by the casting.
This bulge in the middle is testy for all but the sharpest of reamers, as it is too little of a bite for the cutting edge to form the 'chip' that is actually supposed to remove the metal.

Even with my Sunnen, I had to trim the stone to where I could hone only the tight spot, if I wanted to keep a sweet clearance through the entire guide.

....Cotten
PS: Happy Holidays!

Post Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:55 pm
jib

ended up with a .341 ream from goodsons via eBay , ma guides had closed up spring end ,as I drove them in , the ream turned out to be a virtually glide fit in the rest of the guide , and took out very little meat from the spring end , but the valves do now fit.
next is cutting the seats , larger inlet for k valves , to which end I purchased a cheap valve seat cutting tool set from india , this has worked very well , after I machined the end that goes into the guide to fit , used a larger one from the set and turned it down. I have cut two seats and ground the valves in , and cut the inside back to 30 degrees . will do the other cylinder during the week. regard's jib

Post Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:49 pm

You mean I'm the only one cheap enough that I harden a piece of drill rod and grind it to size then grind 6 small flats length wise. Like the burnishing tools that came with knurling sets. For the minor changes from installation I like them better than a ream. They have to be liberally lubricated with STP or steam cylinder oil cuz it's not cool to brake one off in a guide.
Dusty

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:45 am

[b""You mean I'm the only one cheap enough..."" yup Dave your the chepest one so far. :roll: ][/b]

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:47 am

You're not "cheap", Dusty!

You are resourceful.

....Cotten

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:07 am

Steam cylinder oil? Like the stuff you use to lube the bore of the stationary engine that runs the shafting in your state of the art machine shop? :D :D
Cotten I believe would have that sitting around, but I figured you for a 20th century man, using that new fangled Eee-lic-tricty to run your shop, probably from a Delco Plant!
DD

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:32 am

Yes, DD,..

I have electricity.
It is required by my state licensing along with a working toilet.

For a press-lube, I just bought my second can of Goodson's PFL200.
I spray it into a small bottle with a brush, so I can thin any excess and use it economically.
The first can lasted since about 1993, and that's a lot of carb bushings.

For high-temp applications such as valve guides and seats, I used Seal-Lock Fluid-Weld to assure heat transfer.

....Cotten

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Cotten, realize I speak in jest and with respect. And thanks for the idea about dispensing the press lube. I bought my first spray can couple three years ago from Goodson, but the aerosol seems so wasteful. Am now on the quest for a suitable can/w brush,
Thanks.
On the toilet, the old Harley dealer that we all wanted to apprentice ourselves to back in the day had no indoor facilities, and that was his excuse for turning us all down. New York didn't care if he didn't have a toilet, but he had to have one if he had hired help. At least, that's the story he gave all us wannbe's :D
Dick

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:58 pm

DD,
Even my Oakley mill has an added transmission and electric motor. It was originally line driven so I guess your right. Horizontal and vertical with a shaper. It's down while I search for gears for the quill. Looking like I'm going to be welding and filing the old gears.
Dusty

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:27 pm

I shouldn't be taken too seriously either, Dick!

And once upon a time, Dusty,
I worked for a 'speed shop' with a respectable, but only human, owner.
When I fixed a broken planetary gear tooth in the lathe (because I needed it..) I got a dumbfounded look.

That was the only employer who ever fired me, for other reasons of course.

.....Cotten
PS: Back to topic:
There's soft, and there's "chilled" guides over the decades.
They really need to be treated differently; Strike the outside with a file for a feel.
If your reamer dulls and binds instantly, get thee to a hone.

Return to 45 Flatties