Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties Repro WR tanks

Repro WR tanks

Post Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:11 am

I have a repro WR tank on my AHRMA race bike. For the money spent, I'll never buy another one. I'll make my own next time. I have the siphoning problem, which was mentioned, tabs cracking everywhere, rewelded numerous times, rubber mounted and still needing constant repair. I have a slow oil leak that I can't track down somewhere under my expensive nice paintjob. Yeah, racebikes are punished and parts fail quicker, but it will happen to your steet bike eventually....dont put good paint on one......you'll just be pissed down the road.

Post Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:13 am

fabercycle could you inform me where this tank was bought? If this is indeed one of my products I would like to know very much.. I am visiting the manufacturer next week so I could discuss it (if indeed ours) to make improvements..

Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:35 pm

The tanks came from Poland.

I spent 20 years in automotive tool and die, so I can say that you could help the problem alot by using dead soft hot rolled P&O steel for the brackets, instead of colled rolled, and maybe anneal your work hardened deep draw stamping ater it is pressformed. And cut the return line to exit at the top.

As far as the looks, they look great.
Tom

Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:59 pm

I would need to know exact store you bought it from ( via PM is okay), there are many manufacturers in poland, 80% of them produce shit that breaks, doesnt fit or is substandard, and some of them make actually good parts.. I have sold literally hundres of WR tanks by now, never heard of any problems what so ever.. If this came from him I would like to know

Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:27 pm

I sold my WLA in 1990, so my memory could be faulty, but I distinctly remember that the return pipe ended up by the filler cap. I could remove the cap and look at the returning oil without any contortions or even a flashlight. The tanks were probably post war as they had the brackets for the late 40s style emblems.

Post Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:58 am
Pa Site Admin

I put this pic up in another topic recently Woody.

Post Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:13 am

It was 3 or 4 years ago. I don't remember where I bought something last month, much less years ago. I also doubt there is more than one manufacturer in Poland that spent the money it would take to build a left and right hand deep draw die tooling, when it was already being done locally.

Post Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:44 am

There is even a guy that makes front forks for harley, except he makes the tube out of small pieces and welds them together, after that he grinds it down to look nice, because he cannot form the complete forktube at once.. possibly he or someone else madea tank in similar fashion.. It is crazy how innovative some of them can be. Trust me, in poland they are more creative than they were in soviet russia ( and they could fit lada parts into harley engines + make every single part metric)

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:49 am

Samsup, Sounds like you stand behind the parts you sell? Can you give us a name and company you go by in case anyone wants to order one?

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:13 pm
Pa Site Admin

fabercycle wrote:
Samsup, Sounds like you stand behind the parts you sell? Can you give us a name and company you go by in case anyone wants to order one?

Samwel Supply ?

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Pa has got it right with Samwel Supplies, but in any case, we do not sell directly to retail, as we sell our parts to the usual places.. And I stand as much behind "my" products as I can. I know they are not all perfect, some are outright shit at times, but I do work very hard on getting everything as good as is possible.. That is exactly why I want to know where and when bad parts were purchased so I know who made it and get them to improve.. I have no gain from selling bad parts in the long run, and me being only 27 taking over after my old father I want to be in for a long long time...

Post Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:59 pm

Further to the discussion I have been using a set of WR repo tanks for 4 years on a race bike. I purchased these out of Europe.. I also had a problem with the return but fixed thanks to a discussion here. I am currently repairing the fuel tank for the second time on a leak on one of the baffle/stiffening plate spot welds. My intention is to tig weld these spot welds and put a lining kit through it to try and dampen the effects vibration through the tank. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi Guys,
I have visited the manufacturer ( first time we actually met). Very nice guy, working really hard to build his business. I did mention the matter with faulty return lines. I knew about it already, it turns out the be a pre 2011 fault, he didnt know there was supposed to be a hole in the top. Now he knows, all tanks *should* have a reliefhole.

The issues with breaking off tabs are new to him, he uses good moldable steel for the tabs, so it should not be brittle at all. We have considered the possibilities of bad fitting of tanks on reproduction frames could cause the issue, as the holes are marginally misallignedm causing tention on the tank tabs.. The error in frames has been notices and coming batches should no longer have this flaw..

And feedback like I get on this forum is great, keep issues like that coming please! I really want everything to become better!

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:45 pm
Pa Site Admin

Samsup.....I've actually seen oem tanks with tabs broken off because the tabs did not meet the frame perfectly. Over time, the stress on the tank tabs from pulling the mounting bolts tight to secure the tanks forced the tank tabs to become brittle. Bruce Palmer III notes something similar in his big book where he basically instructs on tank tabs and the use of washers to take up the gaps between the tank tabs and the frames.

Post Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:02 am

I'll put an airline on my recently bought tanks to see if they have a relief...
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Mon May 29, 2017 12:29 pm

Well, I ended up drilling the relief hole... seems ok now
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Previous

Return to 45 Flatties