Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties Tanks for WL frames

Tanks for WL frames

Post Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:27 pm

So, with a lot if things that have kept me busy for a long time passing from the stage, I've tried to get a grip on my long-running 45 project bikes.

I sold most of the belt drive, British gearbox stuff and that's going into another bike right now. The shovel head front end went to a shovel head and was replaced by a Sportster front end, which actually looks quite good. I bought a repop frame, forks and hubs from a mixture of new and a couple of stalled projects, and THAT bike is coming to shape.. by the time I get home from this swing I'm hoping to see at least one, standing on its wheels.

Right now, I'm looking at tanks. One bike has a rather battered set of OEM tanks which for no identifiable reason, has had the oil line fittings significantly revised. The other has, at present, a set of repop WR narrow gas/oil tanks. I have a couple of period oil tanks - one looks like a 2 quart hip flask, the other is a sort of KR style item of unknown provenance.

So I'm looking into a tank or tanks to suit a stock WL frame, around the 2.5 to 3 gallon size. The backbone and seat lugs seem to form a major obstacle. I'd thought about having either a mustang or "axed" type tank but neither seems to be feasible. I COULD go for the repop, WR type narrow gas/gas tanks and that seems to be the favourite right now, but I'm open to suggestions?
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Return to 45 Flatties