Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties Clutch gear outer race

Clutch gear outer race

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:34 am
GuS

Pa, question to you or anyone who have changed the WL clutch gear outer race.
Have done many crank cases, but never done a transmission.
On the crank case I always pre heat, use a drift, and a support around the race when knocking the race out.
But there is no room to fit a support around the race inside the tanny house.
How do you do it?
Just support the right side on a plane surface?

GuS

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:51 am

No need to support around race. Heat to 375 degrees, little pressure needed to remove race.
Just support case on right side.
On some cases I can push race out with gloved hand.
Some require more pressure, just remember to apply pressure square to bore, so as not to allow race to bind in case.

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:35 pm
Pa Site Admin

I still support the case on the inside. Last time I did a gearbox I turned four pillars out of aluminum round stock and faced them off all to the same length, set the 300 degree heated case onto the pillars equally spaced and used a mallet to knock the race out. The key to removal and installation is to not get the case to hot or warpage may occur knocking all bores out of alignment. 300 is perfect if you do not preheat. Heat the case as the oven heats up to temp.

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:49 pm
GuS

Ralph. Pa.
Thanks.
In general I like to put support close around a race I want to remove. But if the support isnt dead correct, it will only make things worse. I will have to think more about how I will do this.
Thanks a lot.
GuS

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:59 pm

GuS,
I've removed literally 100's of races in 45 cases per the above method and never warped or cracked a case per the above method.
Ralph

Post Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:27 pm

Not to start a rumble, Folks,..

But here's what it looks like if you press on a case alone, with no support around the race.
BRKNCAS2.JPG

Granted, its not a clutch gear race, which is surely easier.... but a little support never hurts.

...Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:11 pm
GuS

Ouch Cotten. The crank case races bite a bit back, but not much when pre heated. I always support around, thinking the wide thin alu case may flex and bind upon impact.
Studied the trans case some more, and there is a lot of meat arond the front and rear, and decided to go for ralphs suggestion. Had to wait for wife to go shopping, baked the case. 200 deg C. And ralph is right, hardly no force needed. Less than the crank case race.
GuS

Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:36 pm
Pa Site Admin

200 degrees did it ? What luck you have Bro. I didn't even try that temp.

Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:21 pm
GuS

Pa, that is C, which would be close upon 400 F
GuS

Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:42 pm
Pa Site Admin

Oh....I would be afraid to heat it up that hot. Another spec to watch for is the bearing to case fit. Not all case bores are the same size and not all case fit bearing diameters are the same size either. I found several case bores vary up to .0025". I also found case fit bearing diameters vary like wise.

Post Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:09 am
GuS

Pa, you're right. And then there is the short time memory factor, that why i have a table of expansion rate, diameter vs material vs delta temperature along with various cutting speeds etc nailed to my workshop wall.
The expansion/shrink in my table often match when say I shrink a sleeve to a shaft. For cast parts with different shape, the table does not always match, but gives a general guideline.
GuS

Return to 45 Flatties