Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties Start up flat track bike

Start up flat track bike

Post Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:21 pm

Had the flat track bike running today. Kicked it over a few times with plugs out to clear the sumping, then it started second kick. Very pleased about this, for obvious reasons...

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... m6hpnw.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... rxnjf0.jpg

Silencer is a King silencer, an obsolete speedway unit often used on classic and vintage racers.

Bike blurted out more oil and laid down a tremendous smokescreen, partly because I did put some oil in the top ends to lube the bores... I'll need to check the hole in the return line... sounds sweet, though.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:03 pm
GuS

Congratulations!

Any chance of sharing a video?

Try a drill bit.
Easier to collect drill shavings with grease on the bit than it is to collect dust from the grinder.

GuS

Post Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:07 pm
Pa Site Admin

Awesome. Like to see and hear a video as well Bro.

Post Mon May 01, 2017 8:45 am

Video next week, I'm afraid. Couldn't get it going on the kickstart.... didn't have much time so did some finishing work and put it aside. Working away during the week..

One good thing, kicked it over 12-15 times with no further oil blown out the breather, so siphoning doesn't seem to be a problem

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... kicuqm.jpg

Post Sat May 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Siphoning IS a problem.... ok, I've just drained the tank for now. Bike runs sweetly but the exhaust blows badly and needs welding. I'll fit a repop stock exhaust for now. 280 main jet in 36mm Mikuni seems about right.

Ordered various odds and ends like handgrips and short t-bar (so I can fit a solo seat) and tinkering with various fittings and chains. Hand auxiliary clutch seems ok, I've built a lever out of Sportster and 45 parts for now (to provide a ball-end lever, to pass Tech Inspection)

Working away next week so I'll have to leave various odd jobs for No 1 Son to finish. Goal now is to complete 3 rides at Peterborough next week..

Post Sun May 07, 2017 9:26 am
Pa Site Admin

Can you get a small inspection mirror into the oil tank and use a flash light to bounce the light off around the interior of the tank to view the oil line routing ? I suspect a line is doing the siphoning. I posted a cut away vew of the interior showing oem interior oil line routing way back when. If you would like, I can put it up here in your topic.

Post Sun May 07, 2017 10:55 pm

I've done that inspection and yes, that's the problem. Right now I don't have time to remove the tank, drill the hole, flush the tank and refit ... so I've reversed the feed line (bike has flexible hoses, so I can do that) so the union is above the pump and I can drain the tank between meetings. Not ideal but it will control the problem until I can deal with it properly

Post Mon May 22, 2017 12:39 pm

Bike started second kick after filling with oil. Bike now has Paughco 34" drag pipes, pending getting the exhaust welded up. Those WLDR cams sound fierce through open pipes!

Return to 45 Flatties