Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties CLASS C RACE NOTES

CLASS C RACE NOTES

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Amen to that Ralph, but something tells me he'll be there.. btw getting back to broken frames ol Al Knapp showed me way back when a cure for the seat post drama, run a full length thru bolt top to bottom and torque each end with a big nut, easiest way is a length of threaded rod, a stronger way is 1/2" round stock threaded on both ends or what I do is a length of black pipe with threaded studs welded on each end, if you intend to build a Road Race (RR) or Flat tracker (FT) this should be done...
Vintage roadracing, Class C, AHRMA # 335

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:42 pm

Good news from Roebling, our motors scored a 1, 2 finish on Sunday, but the motors are only half of it, takes a good rider to make them look good , right ? Thanks Ralph for pit crewing in my absence, we'll team up at Kershaw..

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:08 pm

Congratulations on your successes!

Post Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:38 am

Look forward to seeing you at Kershaw Tim.

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:52 am

As mentioned earlier my personal bike developed vibes in the last lap of the last race. First thing noticed when removing the motor were the 2 rear mounting bolts were loose, either that was the cause of the vibes or a cause from another source loosened the bolts, being certain these bolts were torqued i'm leaning toward another source, with motor out there's still no visual breaks or cracks in the frame, a mistake made when building this bike was to powder coat the frame, DO NOT powder coat your frame when building a race bike, it can hide small cracks which turn into big cracks, next i'll apply stress to different points of the frame with a screw jack then taring down the motor for a quick check and refresh, hope to be ready for Kershaw, N.C. race in a couple of weeks..
yes, racing is a mental illness !

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:39 am

With the motor down I haven't found any problems so the cylinders received a fresh hone, new rings, valves lapped, a little porting and ready for assembly, before installing the motor will pull the trans to check for frame breaks, not long ago a rider complained about his bikes ill handling , when we pulled the motor and trans we discovered the frame was broken where the tubular connects to the trans cradle, could separate it enough to see that it was splined inside, that's interesting, guess the mo co did that for tru alignment, btw if anybody's making the trip to Kershaw to spectate don't go to the one in N.C., it's actually in S.C., been more than a decade since I raced there so that's my excuse and i'm stickin to it.. :?

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:04 am

Splined or knurled?

Post Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:50 pm

LarryP wrote:
Splined or knurled?
, wasn't much of a gap but what we could see was splined,
Applying light stress to my frame detected a crack in the seat post tube, it runs horizontal around the back side to the sleeve just behind the rear motor mount, this is bad, don't know if it's cracked all the way around under the sleeve , will take a pic and try to post it later when I have time to figure out how, the rush is on to repair the frame and assemble in time for the race..

Post Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:32 pm

RACE REPORT ; Carolina Motorsports park, Kershaw S.C., this road course track is just over 2 miles long and is technically demanding, proof of that was the multiple red flag crash's both days with 2 of those air lifted, it has short radius's, long sweepers, tricky apex, short straights and longer ones. you had to be on your game to be competitive , staying focused without fixating and constantly looking ahead, once you get that down the track was allot of fun !

THE RACE ; AHRMA has many classes and they attempt to group them up to squeeze them all in the race day, they do this in waves, there may be 1,2 or 3 different classes in a wave, this can get dicey, especially if there is a slower class starting ahead of you or a faster one behind you, they started the Class C alone so we had a clean air start, yea ! Class C Handshift Entry's included 4 H-D's and 3 Scouts, this is a norm for smaller venues, at the more popular ones like Barber in the fall there may be a dozen or more, there is always the drag race from the s/f line to the first corner, the guy that gets thru that first corner first usually has a good shot of winning, with luck I won the drag race but one of the better riders out rode me for first, that's ok cause I had a heck of a battle with another rider back and forth for 2nd and that made it all worth while , day one had 3 HD's up front with a Scout leading the way on day 2, all in all it was a great weekend enjoying old friends in the warm south... Tim

Post Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:36 am

Well, I guess Tim is a little modest, so I'll say it for him. His motors took the podium on Sat., and placed a 2nd,3rd,and 4th on Sun. Congrats Tim!

Post Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:10 pm

I'm impressed.

....Cotten

Post Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:03 pm

All in fun fellas and we should mention Ralph's C/R transmissions helping to pave the way, fact is though i'm rarely completely satisfied with the performance or handling of my personal ride, for instance this race it was doing some weird breaking up at full out throttle, kinda sounded like a rev limiter, replaced the points, condensor seemed to help some but still present, could be valve float ??? did do some porting last tare down may have added some rpm's, as for handling, if going thru a rough corner the bike will develop a wiggle , more weight on the pegs (butt off the seat) and more throttle usually helps, I'm pretty convinced this is frame flex especially from a weaker '39 frame, if done properly gusseting helps..

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:07 pm

INTAKE NIPPLE CONVERSION; currently working with a set of NOS cylinders and reserved about opening up the intake ports for the larger nipple insert, has anybody tried the adapter kit V-twin sells (35-1707) that threads onto existing WL nip's and allows the larger WR nuts ? sounds like a practical way to not molest NOS cylinders and still use a 4 bolt carb...

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:19 pm

You won't know Tim,

Until you hold it in your hands.

I have a candy-tin Tedd OHV manifold on the bench right now that was an abortion.

(Obviously a re-packaged Colony "second".)

...Cotten
PS: Nut bevel angles do not come close to the seals', and neither come close to OEM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cotten on Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:23 pm

Understood Cotton, will post the results..

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi Tim,
I don't understand why you want to spend the money for a set of nipples that still have a 1.187 ID to connect to a manifold that has a 1.562 ID and run a 1 1/2" 4 bolt carb.
I provide a service CNC machining the WL cylinders to take the WR/KR nipples and also make the 4 bolt manifold.
I only do this on original HD cylinders as the imports do not fit on my fixtures.
Bruce Argetsinger
AHRMA Dirt Track # 67J
www.enfieldracing.com

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:06 pm

I get that Bruce, more the owners decision concerned with it getting too thin around the edge, we have done it with some of the re pops from Dixie that had allot more beef, see you at Oley ?

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:29 pm

OLEY REPORT ; Wow ! what a great time at the Oley AMCA meet this year ! the whole meet was bursting with enthusiasm putting that long, nasty, cabin fever winter behind us, reunited with allot of old friends and then there was ..

THE DRAG RACE ; at the Reading Motorcycle Club (RMC) just up the road, this was the 2nd year they invited us AMCA members for Friday night grudge match racing on their 440' drag strip, how often do you see Knuckleheads, Pans, Flatty's And Ironheads racing for bragging rights in one night ? There were approx. 7 bikes in the 45" class, they went thru eliminations for top dog but you could run as often as you wanted, it took me a few passes to figure the correct launch on the sticky surface but when i did it was allot of fun ! there was allot of enthusiasm and members were already bench racing their strategy's for next year ..

Post Fri May 11, 2018 4:16 am

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the following. I have an MR4 on my WL race bike. It currently has an adjustable high speed needle and I was wondering if people use needles or fixed jets on their race bikes running linkerts.

Thanks
Dave

Post Fri May 11, 2018 8:11 am

I'm only a bench racer, Dave...

But I have two questions:

How many turns out does the HS run best, as it is?

Is the tip of the HS needle "stepped"?
STEPTIP.jpg

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PreviousNext

Return to 45 Flatties