Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties CLASS C RACE NOTES

CLASS C RACE NOTES

Post Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Hi all, several years ago I posted a similar topic which created allot of interest, nowadays the Class C hand shifters are very popular in the states, we have Class C vintage Flat tracks, Road racing, Beach drags on both coast and this year at AMCA Oley we were invited up the road to the Reading M.C. to race on their 480' hard based drag strip, it was a blast ! gotta feeling thats gonna grow also, hey what about dirt drags at some of the AMCA meets ? that would be cool ! Any way back to the topic, I will post time to time subjects, experiences, and questions related to racing H-D 45's ( you scout guys can chime in too), for instance ; (CRANK STARTERS ), I've noticed allot lately racers using crank starters to fire their bikes, especially flat trackers, the bikes fire right up and you don't have to worry about missing the start grid , I personally feel they are better than rollers because rollers are harder on that delicate 2 row primary chain and heavier to lug around, any other pro's and con's on crank starters ? And are there any plans out there on how to build one ? can't be that complicated, thanks, Tim
Vintage roadracing, Class C, AHRMA # 335

Post Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Tim,
Check out my Bonneville build in the indian section for how I did a starter. It seems to work pretty good and my total investment is less than $35 so far. I certainly don't want to drag a roller setup around in Bonneville heat! If it isn't self explanatory enough just holler.
Dusty

Post Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi Tim,

I make the starter nuts with a 1/2" square drive for all the 45" Harleys & Indians.
Seal plates and seals also for the wet primaries.
Bruce Argetsinger
AHRMA Dirt Track # 67J
www.enfieldracing.com

Post Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:55 pm

Dusty, cool thread ! Is your starter designed to work off the transmission ? will your starter be mounted on a carrying frame with battery ? what type of battery and switch ?
Bruce, the starter nut is the sprocket nut right ? so what keeps it from working loose when spinning the motor ?

Post Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:33 pm

The ratchet goes on the trans main shaft and replaces the kickstarter gear and ratchet. I know that most just use a square but I remember an old combine with a Wisconson that the hand crank got stuck in the crank after it started, I wasn't too bloody and bruised when I got away from it but I certainly wouldn't want to do it again.
Dusty

Post Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi Tim,
We use blue loctite and there is a jam setscrew also.
I started making them to use with my KR & XR 750 primary covers.
They are used on all George Wills WR's & KR's, also on Art Farley's, Tom Faber's, Doug Youngs's, Dennis Clark's, Chad Rall's, Doug Horner's Indian, and all 4 of my Enfields.
I can't remember all the others but there are many racers using them.
Bruce Argetsinger
AHRMA Dirt Track # 67J
www.enfieldracing.com

Post Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Dusty, got that, had a model A Ford with a hand crank that would catch if you wern't careful.
Bruce, do you know of a good source for starters or plans to make one ? not much on the internet about them..

Post Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Tim 435 wrote:
Dusty, got that, had a model A Ford with a hand crank that would catch if you wern't careful.
Bruce, do you know of a good source for starters or plans to make one ? not much on the internet about them..

With a Model T or A you pull the crank upwards. The crank is designed to disengage if the engine pops back.

Post Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:35 am

Tim,
Was camping at Oley this year and heard all the racket Friday nite. Wish I'd known what was going on! Would loved to watch. It was still fun to just listen. Hope you get a chance to do it again.
DD

Post Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:59 am

Chris, the crank on my Model A was worn to a point where it would bind and was catchy, didn't use it much anyway (demonstrated for grand kids), the electric start worked fine..

DD , already have grudge matches lined up for next year, from reading your past post I see you have some machines that would qualify, it's open for anything vintage, oh I shouldn't mention this (so don't tell anybody) but somehow a 12 yr old girl on an 80 cc something got matched with my brother on his panhead and, yeah, smoked him right at the finish line ! yeah it was hilarious ! last I heard he's doing a top end, new clutch, ect., ect..

Post Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:51 pm
Pa Site Admin

My Son's Model A has an electric starter. It also has the port for the crank but he hasn't got the crank.

Post Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:50 am

Just found a good source for what I've been calling a crank starter correctly known as "hand held starter" or "remote starter" . A site called VFT or Vintage Flat Track @ vft.org , I'm sure you flat trackers know this sight, it's full of cool race stuff including a variety of new and used hand held starters, they also have an excellent video of the 2017 Wauseon flat track race, check it out, Tim

Post Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:16 pm

HAND HELD STARTER ; just received a trick hand held starter I found at the VFT site, will post the results soon..

VL FORKS TO A 45 ? I know they have a 1" neck but is there any way of adapting them to a 2 bolt 45 frame, retiring my '39 race bike and having a heck of a time locating an I beam...

Post Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:29 pm

Tim 435 wrote:
HAND HELD STARTER ; just received a trick hand held starter I found at the VFT site, will post the results soon..

VL FORKS TO A 45 ? I know they have a 1" neck but is there any way of adapting them to a 2 bolt 45 frame, retiring my '39 race bike and having a heck of a time locating an I beam...

Arent the VL fork stems 1-1/4 thick?

Anyway only option is to machine down a pair of bearingcups, but the flesh will get thin I suppose..

Post Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:10 pm

Aren't there pictures around, of WRs with I-beam forks?
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:27 pm

That would be WLDR's Brit, I may have the option of a VL I beam and researching the variables , had several 45 I beams in the past and let them go, :roll: now I'm paying for it..

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:59 pm

Vintage Racing suffered a great loss recently with the passing of Art Farley, Art was a master on a Handshift , a great personality and a super friend to all that new him, he will be missed ! God speed Art.

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:25 pm
Pa Site Admin

That is so very sad Tim. It seems like we loose so many lately. My heart and sincere condolences go out to his loved ones, relatives and friends. RIP

Return to 45 Flatties