Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties horn mounting hardware

horn mounting hardware

Post Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:50 pm

On to next issue. I have been confused about the correct horn mounting hardware for the late number 42 WLA. I have gone over the parts manuals, Sarafans book, and both of Palmer's books. I'm still not certain which springs and bolts to use. This is for mounting the hron in the upper position. I believe I need....

2ea. Bolt 4856-42M
1ea. Plate 4855-42
2ea. Nut 0104

What goes on the other side?

2ea. Bolt 051
2ea. Nut 0108

How about .........

2ea. Spring 4861-29
3ea. Plate 4862-29
6ea. Plate 4862-31

I hope someone has the answer. I want to order the parts as soon as possible.

Dave Thomas

Post Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:14 am

Hi Dave, Did you get any information on the horn mounting ? I'm in the same situation, and I cannot find detailed photos of the horn mount or the wiring terminal plate either.

Post Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:12 pm
Pa Site Admin

I put up several photos of the horn as mounted on 42WLA type III and up in my build topic. You will have to go page by page to find the views you are looking for. Here is the link. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12410

Post Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Thank you Pa, I scanned 74 pages but couldn't find any photos of the horn mount and terminal plate area. But you have posted so many fantastic, clear photos !!! They are going to be Sooo helpful !!!

but

Post Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:06 pm
Pa Site Admin

Jeeze...... I thought I put up horn bracket photos in that topic. I will look through my files for some for you.

Post Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:46 pm
Pa Site Admin

Do these photos help ?

Post Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:08 pm

Yes Pa, "Just the job " You are a "Proper Gent " Such clear photos !
Thanks yet again.

Post Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:15 pm

By the way, why do the set screws on the left side of the horn bracket have large hexagon heads and the right side have small slotted heads ?

Post Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:18 pm
Pa Site Admin

v8ivor wrote:
By the way, why do the set screws on the left side of the horn bracket have large hexagon heads and the right side have small slotted heads ?

I have also wondered why the motor company designed the mounting this way.

Post Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:05 pm

PA. I notice yours is missing those two bright shiny clamps the are on the fork and go over the wiring looms.

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:51 am

More importantly, I dont see the oval spring plates that should be below the screws. They act like springwasher. help to keep your bolts from getting lost. Maybe I am blind

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:11 pm
Pa Site Admin

Chris Haynes wrote:
PA. I notice yours is missing those two bright shiny clamps the are on the fork and go over the wiring looms.

Mine are parkerized Chris. You can see the left side one in the second pic down. I have them mounted so the wires rest in them. That factory pic shows them pulling down on the wires. I don't understand their reasoning for that.
Last edited by Pa on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:14 pm
Pa Site Admin

Samsup wrote:
More importantly, I dont see the oval spring plates that should be below the screws. They act like springwasher. help to keep your bolts from getting lost. Maybe I am blind

What is the part number on those so I can understand exactly what you are referring to ?

Post Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:46 pm

Pa wrote:
Samsup wrote:

What is the part number on those so I can understand exactly what you are referring to ?

I dont know the number, but its the oval springplate that goes under the hex bolts that hold the hornbracket to the lampmount

Post Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:55 am

I think he means plate 4855-42 Paul; it's that oval springplate that goes underneath the hexbolts 4856-42(M).
It allows the hornmount to vibrate.
....Pascal

Post Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:55 pm
Pa Site Admin

OK....I see now. I do have it installed but not like the factory pics show it. I installed it between the horn bracket and the headlight bracket thinking it served its purpose best there. It can be seen in a few of the pics I posted above. It would be easy to place them as the factory shows them though.

Post Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:08 pm
Pa Site Admin

Pa wrote:
OK....I see now. I do have it installed but not like the factory pics show it. I installed it between the horn bracket and the headlight bracket thinking it served its purpose best there. It can be seen in a few of the pics I posted above. It would be easy to place them as the factory shows them though.

I am going to reinstall that spring plate per those factory pics. Every bike pic I searched, that is close to correct and original, has it installed that way as well. I don't know how I missed the detail.

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:42 am
Pa Site Admin

Regarding those harness clips again.....the factory pic shows them facing down. I mounted mine facing up to cradle the harnesses.

These pics were taken from TM 9-879 War Department Technical Manual. Note the way the wire harness clip is mounted. I mounted mine the same way.

Return to 45 Flatties