Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Linkert problem

Linkert problem

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.
Post Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:33 pm

My 40 Scout with M6 changes the idle every few return to idle. One stop will be a nice uneventful idle another will yield either widely missing idle or a dead engine sounds like ignition but a little throttle almost kills it then it runs fine and may or may not idle fine when returned to idle. I've bubble checked and tore the carb down looking for anything and rechecking the float level few times. When it idles smooth it doesn't have the dead spot just off idle. The venturi isn't quite as tight as I would like but I've seen them run looser. Takes two fingers to easily push it in and I can't feel movement when all the way in. Any suggestions? This carb has been issue free for the last 10 years. Cotten?
Dusty

Post Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:10 pm

Dunno, Dusty,..

Your venturi has little or nothing to do with idle, so I would look closer for throttleshaft/bushing play, allowing sloppy idle if the control wire flexes.
(Shaft play causes the throttle disc wear into the bore of the carb body. Once the 'eyebrow' of wear reaches the idle bleeds, the proximity of the disc edge to the bleeds is probably pretty erratic.)

You could always do a qualitative air leak test around the shaft and flange gaskets at idle with an un-lit propane torch.

....Cotten
PS: Please also make certain the LS lift lever spring collar is free to slide upon its deck as the lever goes through its arc.

Post Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:11 pm

Put new bushings and shaft in when this first started. I'll try the propane. I'm going to take it apart and check all the passage plugs just because it acts like the float level is way low but it's not. U even drained the bowl into a container right after it was doing it then checked how full the bowl was same as when it was right?
Dusty

Post Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:45 pm

Thanks Cotten looking at the spring washer solved the mystery! It wasn't sliding at all then when I pulled it out it had a large slot worn in it must not have slid in years. Made a new one and polished everything up and its a new bike. Proly ought to get a new idle needle that doesn't have a worn spot on the side but it idles good for now. Dam 30 years ago I wouldn't have had to pull it out and look under a loupe to see it.
Dusty

Post Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:45 pm

If all else fails there's a guy on Craigslist selling S&S carbs....

Post Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:02 pm

Pablo Cruize wrote:

Suppose those Super Es might be a little large for a 57 cid flat head? Anyway it ran great today over to Carson and back. Lately the back has become more important.
Dusty

Post Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:45 am

Pablo Cruize wrote:

Why throw money at something that can be fixed, Pablo?

Not to mention needing a different manifold, control, fuel line, aircleaner, support, etc., etc.

....Cotten

Post Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:55 am

He's teasing about some new in the box Super Es I've got on Craig's List that aren't selling yet.

Dusty

Post Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:54 pm

Inside jokes always leave me out, Folks!

Did you hear the one about the potmetal Schebler that called the Linkert black?

Nevermind.

....Cotten

Return to General Whatever-Technical