Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties hand clutch option

hand clutch option

Post Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:22 pm

hand clutch (596x800).jpg
Hey Guys I just got this high quality hand clutch set up for my WLA, there's a new supplier from Utah that has and can get almost anything at fair prices. They are called nothin but fun, and a Gal named Penny owns and operates it. The cable is cloth covered and lacquered. They came stock on WLCs but were an option for all others.

Leo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:56 am
Pa Site Admin

I put a WLC hand clutch on a Bobber 45 but you got to be Samson to use it. It was useless for operating the clutch, however, it would hold the clutch out after using the foot clutch. So.....me and my buddy decided to modify the hand clutch by adapting a slave cylinder to it and using a later front brake master cylinder setup to operate the slave cylinder. It has been about 6 years since we started on the idea and we ran into a wall on slave cylinder availability in travel lengths. Unless we find a manufacturer who will produce the travel we need, the idea is stalled.

Post Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:11 am

Pa,

The handclutch is designed to be used exactly how you described it! You press the footclutch in, and the handclutch will help you make an easier left turn in sticky situations. For the army this could have been a lifesaver at times.. It is designed to provide a slipping clutch when you engage the handclutch completely. Its not designed to be " instead of" footclutch.

Also, Leo, another European product you have :D Good to see it finds it ways to the USA too. I see the supplier gave the extra brake cable that we provide with it. I suggest you use that, the end looks less like original, but its EC approved for clutch and brake operating, while the one in the cable is... well lets just say it looks very nice, but it wont hold very long..

Post Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:13 am

My exact thoughts Simon on the inner cable. I had a feeling it was from your company. I also bought a set of tanks from her that are awesome quality and made in Europe, I bet they were from you guys as well ! :D

Leo

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:42 am

[quote="Samsup"]Pa,

The handclutch is designed to be used exactly how you described it! You press the footclutch in, and the handclutch will help you make an easier left turn in sticky situations. For the army this could have been a lifesaver at times.. It is designed to provide a slipping clutch when you engage the handclutch completely. Its not designed to be " instead of" foot clutch.

quote]

It is good to see this posted. I gave up trying to make my hand clutch on the WLC work as you would think it should. It turns out that it cannot be done, not that I messed up!. The hand clutch just seems to be a useless complication - certainly not the first nor last similar situation funded by the Canadian Government!

Jack

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:58 am

Jack, if you ever get stuck in mud with your WLC you will be happy you have the clutch... so yeah, in these days useless back then, it had its uses!

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:00 pm
Pa Site Admin

I knew what the WLC hand clutch was for. I was attempting to make it a useful hand clutch only deal, just as the hand clutches of today motorcycles are. I have not given that up yet. The main reason the WLC hand clutch setup cannot be used as the only clutch release and engage control is because of the leverage point on the transmission clutch release lever point for the hand clutch cable. If one was to place the hand clutch lever cable into the foot clutch position on the clutch release lever.....I am betting use of the hand clutch lever would become much more easier in using as the clutch control only feature, yet I still think it would still be quit stiff.

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:30 pm

if one would place it one would not be able to pull the lever far enough to disengage the cluthc, is because of the coil compression on the outer cable. Only option would be further inwards, you would et more out of your movement, but it will get even heavier. no deal both ways i would say

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:15 pm

The reason I got it was for stopped at a light, on an incline, so I can have both feet on the ground. Disengage with the foot clutch, squeeze the hand lever, engage the foot clutch and use the hand lever to engage when ready. Also tight left hand turns. Sounds good in theory.

Leo

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:15 pm
Pa Site Admin

Samsup wrote:
if one would place it one would not be able to pull the lever far enough to disengage the cluthc, is because of the coil compression on the outer cable. Only option would be further inwards, you would et more out of your movement, but it will get even heavier. no deal both ways i would say

Exactly !! Thus the issue with obtaining a slave cylinder with the correct travel length.

Post Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:28 am

I'm sure this has all been covered before, but there's a 45 appearing occasionally in the DTRA flat track series with a hand-only clutch using a "generic" speedway or motocross type hand lever
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:29 pm

45Brit wrote:
I'm sure this has all been covered before, but there's a 45 appearing occasionally in the DTRA flat track series with a hand-only clutch using a "generic" speedway or motocross type hand lever

could be using an early gearbox with a narrow clutch, or a mousetrap kind of contraption, or something else entirely!

Post Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:03 pm

I am using a hand clutch on my c class race bike to assist better starts off the line. It works well and can can engage disengage clutch with no foot clutch assistance. The only thing is I am using one of the diaphragm type clutches which may be easier to actuate.

Post Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:51 pm

I've posted a pic of that DTRA bike last time this was discussed. But no, it has a conventional WL clutch, certainly has a WL primary cover. The owner does have a genuine WR but that's a different bike altogether.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've seen various accounts of this from various sources, including being told by one if the other DTRA riders that they are involved with a road racer which has one steel and one fibre plate removed, and Big Twin springs, and the basket cut down "according" which works fine. There's a similar bike described on YouTube which I've posted before.

I'm also looking at Jawa speedway bike springs as an alternative to repop ones.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:33 am
Pa Site Admin

Very interesting.

Post Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:48 am

ozwalla wrote:
I am using a hand clutch on my c class race bike to assist better starts off the line. It works well and can can engage disengage clutch with no foot clutch assistance. The only thing is I am using one of the diaphragm type clutches which may be easier to actuate.

I totally forgot about this option, thats also very viable! I use a diaphragm pressure plate on my full reproduction bike too, but never tried on the handclutch! I made the brake on the left side, and the clutch on the right side would be useless I thought..

Post Mon May 29, 2017 12:20 pm

I've now got one of these on my WL flat track bike, using a lever assembled from WL and Sportster parts (to get the ball ended lever) and it is quite useful

Post Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:05 pm

orange-1.jpg

Post Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:09 pm

orange-3.jpg
orange-4.jpg

Post Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:13 am

What's the gear change on that bike?

Next

Return to 45 Flatties