Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties Rolling chassis for flat track bike

Rolling chassis for flat track bike

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:28 am

Had a busy morning fettling and assembling the rolling chassis - I do like those 19" wheels, all 45s should have them!

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... vashaq.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... mqbg6l.jpg
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:27 pm
Pa Site Admin

I can't wait to see it all come together.

Post Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:48 am

Post Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:04 pm
Pa Site Admin

Looking real good Bro.

Post Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:41 am

Had an hour or two on this bike

Foot clutch with auxiliary hand clutch, repop parts

Exhaust is a trial fit using a front drag pipe, repop rear pipe, 1 3/4" y-piece and swan neck from the abandoned Ariel project and King silencer from a 90s speedway bike. Seems to fit ..

Post Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:12 pm
Pa Site Admin

looks like it will not be much longer before you fire her up.

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:21 am
GuS

Agree to the 19"
Am doin 18" on my ongoing, because thats what I had lying around. This is for asfalt. Look great too. But if done again, I would aim for 17", not for the looks, but that where you have the best selection of tyres.. Flat track I would guess you find what you need in 19"?

Do you have a dB limit to keep below?
Im planning for having mine on the track later this year, and was told to keep below 100dB

GuS

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:29 am
GuS

Another Q. Is this the stroked one with piston oilers?
What did you end up with in terms of pistons?
GuS

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:02 pm

It is the stroked engine with the piston oilers, yes. Pistons are T&O.

There is a flathead road racing scene in France and Germany, they use 19" or 21" rims for ground clearance so I did the same. Personally I'd regard 17" as too small for a bike like the 45 which already lacks ground clearance. There were certain issues about what was, or was not available and/or permissible over here and I ended up with 4.00x19" Heidenau on the rear, 3.50x19" front. I have reservations about the back tyre, I'd probably have done better to go 3.50x19" for clearance but it DOES go in.

There is no specific dBA limit but meetings can, and will exclude machines regarded as excessively noisy. The King silencer is an obsolete type of speedway silencer, you can find them easily on eBay and they are a common choice for older track machines - free flowing and generally recognised as a "proper" silencer.

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:13 pm
GuS

You got a very valid point regarding clearance. Clutch would most costly to do something with. Havent solved that yet. Nor the silencer. Got some sporty ones lying under the bench.
I run Heidenau for my winter bike. Really soft rubber in cold. 18 inch tyre selection is somewhat limited 19 is worse. But if you cant push the limit of 17 inch tyres, wats the point. Some more thing to think about. :) I ended up with 110/90-18 Avon Roadrider.
GuS

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:26 pm

I chose the Heidenau because several vintage flat riders over here, use them. The Duro ones are supposedly a copy of the old Pirelli but have the reputation of being neither grippy, nor durable. The Dunlop K180 also has a poor reputation. I haven't seen anyone using K70s

I don't believe there are any 18" flat track tyres available in UK.

Regarding the clutch, I abandoned the Ariel project when the Greek crisis had the side-effect of bringing numbers of OEM and NOS parts to the market, after years in storage. Greece was about the last known stock of OEM NOS parts. I now have two two-bolt gearboxes and narrow type clutches, so the next iteration of this bike is intended to include this - but right now I'm just interested in getting it on track

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:07 pm
GuS

That's it. You just have do make some choices.
Looking forward to see your bike in action.

GuS

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Tanks are fitted now. Put some oil in the tank, left it overnight to fill the lines and pump..

Post Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:22 pm

Lots of tiresome fettling today, making repop stuff fit.. carb is a 36mm Mikuni

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... tm3dkt.jpg

Post Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:27 pm
Pa Site Admin

Looking Great !! Love the VW fuel cap. :lol:

Return to 45 Flatties