Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Knuckles Used Knucklehead Cases on eBay?

Used Knucklehead Cases on eBay?

Post Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:22 pm

Has anyone here noticed all of the left side knucklehead/panhead cases with altered numbers selling on eBay lately? They are getting very high prices and some seem to be from fairly respected sellers. I wonder how many of these are being built and sold as legit motorcycles. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Post Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:01 pm

I just bought a set that the left case had grenaded, been goober welded, grenaded again. All the numbers are still good so a new left case from Knuckleworks.com will put these back on the road.

Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:27 am

zeek wrote:
Has anyone here noticed all of the left side knucklehead/panhead cases with altered numbers selling on eBay lately? They are getting very high prices and some seem to be from fairly respected sellers. I wonder how many of these are being built and sold as legit motorcycles. Maybe I'm just missing something.
Zeek!

I am just beginning to decipher ebay, but I suspect that most are going beyond USA borders, where "legitimacy" isn't such an issue.

.....Cotten

Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:32 am

Chris Haynes wrote:
I just bought a set that the left case had grenaded, been goober welded, grenaded again. All the numbers are still good so a new left case from Knuckleworks.com will put these back on the road.

Chris, in your situation did your case come with a title and will you "transfer" the numbers from the destroyed cases to the new case? I'm not trying to stick my nose into your business only trying to understand how to utilize some of the engine cases that are selling on eBay that have no titles but may have good numbers (unaltered).

Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:09 am

Cotten wrote:
zeek wrote:
Zeek!

I am just beginning to decipher ebay, but I suspect that most are going beyond USA borders, where "legitimacy" isn't such an issue.

.....Cotten

Cotten, I didn't consider the possibility of these parts going to other countries. One of the other things I think strange about these parts is the $$'s they are selling for. I would think if someone was to going to go through the trouble to build an engine based on old cases in damaged condition along with bogus numbers why wouldn't they buy a brand new reproduction case for a lot less money and stamp whatever numbers on them they want. There was a left case with obvious altered numbers that sold the other day for over $4,000.00 US. I guess my old deranged mind just can't get out of the 70's.

Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:48 pm

zeek wrote:
Chris Haynes wrote:

Chris, in your situation did your case come with a title and will you "transfer" the numbers from the destroyed cases to the new case? I'm not trying to stick my nose into your business only trying to understand how to utilize some of the engine cases that are selling on eBay that have no titles but may have good numbers (unaltered).

You need the serial number and line bore numbers. I never worry about a title. As long as it isn't stolen I can always get a title. These cases came from the collection of a long established dealer who routinely bought out other dealers old stuff.

Remember when dealing with the Motor Vehicle People. KISS Keep It Simple Silly. Never offer them any information or say something is a reproduction.

Return to Knuckles