Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Indians 1948 Chief Transmission

1948 Chief Transmission

Post Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:09 am

Hi all. . .
howz everybody doing thru this pandemic?
is it over yet?

anyway. . . . . .

i'm working on the gearbox for my Chief. just about to begin reassembly.

Kiwi sells a threaded plug to close the case hole at the output side end of the counter shaft.

has anybody used this plug? i bought the plug. found it requires drilling the hole to a 1/8" pipe thread.

i'm just a little hesitatant to do that as i never had a leak there with the original design.

is this mod worth it?

Post Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:24 pm

I have never seen any reason to plug that hole unless you get it together and find the gasket on the floor. They just don't seem to leak there if there is no damage. Updating the older ones to use a seal on the Sprocket Driver Gear is well worth the time and money.
Dusty

Post Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:49 pm

thx Dave.

sproket driver gear? u mean the final drive sprocket, right?
have u seen any reference to a seal behind the clutch basket?
i have one. it fits nicely into the trans case hole behing the clutch. . .between the clutch basket and the input main bearing of the transmission. i don't see it on any diagrams at Kiwi or Greer's websites.
wondering how critical it may be

Post Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:41 pm

servitrike wrote:
thx Dave.

sproket driver gear? u mean the final drive sprocket, right?
have u seen any reference to a seal behind the clutch basket?
i have one. it fits nicely into the trans case hole behing the clutch. . .between the clutch basket and the input main bearing of the transmission. i don't see it on any diagrams at Kiwi or Greer's websites.
wondering how critical it may be

Yes the gear that carries the sprocket item 29.
The seal behind the clutch basket is only for bikes that have separated primary oil. To need this seal you must have the breather hole in the transmission cover or you can't fill the transmission and the holes between the trans and primary plugged. The separated primary was an attempt to allow very light oil in the primary to minimize clutch drag.
https://www.jerrygreersengineering.com/ ... model_id=2
The plugs are items 50. I prefer one of the more modern clutches to a separated primary.
Dusty

Post Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:46 pm

Dusty. .

i have the seperated/isolated primary. havethe plugs in the trans case and the vent in the fill hole. it was done intentionally and has served me well.
had it done at Jerry Greer's shop in CA when Jerry was still with us.
curious that this option does not show on the Jerry Greer parts diagrams now.
probly could go to a local bearing seal place and get a match.

thx for the input.

D~~~!

Return to Indians